MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/10/2011 07:57 PM

Recovery time after surgery?

Rhub
Rhub  

I just found out yesterday, that they are going to remove my prolactinoma in a few weeks. The surgeon told me I would only be in the hospital for a day or two. However Im wondering how long it take to actually recover. The first thing my boss asked was how long will you be off work, and I didn't know the answer. I left a message for my doctor, but I haven't heard back yet. For some reason work didn't come to mind when I was meeting with him.

Can anyone help me? How long did it take you to recover, and return to work. I'm a teacher so I'm on my feet all day.

08/11/2011 06:07 AM
Aworriedwife

My husband had surgery 3 weeks ago today. He had a functioning tumor causing a disease caused acromegaly. It looks like they got the entire tumor and his levels seem to have returned to normal. We have to wait awhile to know for sure.

For the 1st 2 weeks he was definately in a fog. Just not himself, not "sharp" and tired easily. This week I feel like I can see him gradually returning to "normal" each day. He's feeling antsy now about sitting around so much, which is a good sign.

Our surgeons said 6 weeks off work. He works a physical job, so we are definately waiting the entire time. If he worked a desk job I would probably be ok with him going back early. If you're in charge of kids, you will probably want to wait 4-6 weeks. Everyone is different and every surgeon is different. I know some release patients after 4 weeks.

If you have any questions about the surgery or recovery, please feel free to ask. And remember, with a functioning tumor, you also have hormone issues to adjust to. He was lucky and everything is normal, you may have to take replacements, which will alter your recovery.

Best of luck!

08/11/2011 07:23 AM
JordynsGigi
JordynsGigi  

Hi Rebecca,

Like every tumour is different, so is everyones recovery time. Like aworriedwife suggested.. I think 4-6wks is the norm. Take 6 just to be sure. You will feel great.. but you really cant push yourself too soon.

I had a nonfunctiong tumour, but I was in the lucky 'less than 5%' to now have panhypopituitary as a result. <said sarcastically..lol>

Ive been a group leader here for almost 2yrs, and I can say 97% of people recover quickly, and are back to work within 6wks.

What date is your surgery??

08/11/2011 05:40 PM
Rhub
Rhub  

Friday, August 26th. I taked to the surgeons assistant today and she said it might be 6-8 weeks. I also have addisons disease and Hypothyroid. She said with Addisons I may require more than the 6 weeks they usually suggest for people with jobs that require excessive standing and walking. The thing that surprised me the most is unless there are complications I would only have to be in the hospital 1 day after surgery.

Thank you for you help, I'm very nervous.

Can you tell me what the worst part of the recovery was for you?

08/12/2011 05:55 AM
Aworriedwife

Hi Rhub,

We were a nervous wreck before surgery, which turned out to be "not so bad". At least compared to our fears. My hubby also had a severely crooked septum repaired and a large maxillary sinus cyst removed at the same time. He woke up to a headache he described as being hit by a truck that was pulling a train that then parked on his head. No meds would touch it. By 4 am the night after surgery the headache went away and never came back. It was replaced with what he described as pressure. One thing nobody told us was that the surgeons put your head in a halo during surgery. When he woke up we couldn't figure out why he had four sores on his head.

The worst part for my husband has been the inability to breathe through his nose. I don't know if it's just the transsphenoidal surgery or the septoplasty, but he has been severely congested and the stuff in his nose can only be described as alien like. At this point, most of it has been removed by the ENT or worked it's way out on it's own.

Luckily, we had fantastic surgeons that we trusted 100%. They've given my husband an incredible gift and I don't know how we can ever thank them. It has been a scary journey, but he is so much healthier for going through it. We will be thinking about you on your big day and wishing you all the best!

08/13/2011 05:25 PM
Rhub
Rhub  

Thank you. It is nice to know about the halio.

08/13/2011 06:35 PM
sacredriver

Hi there,

Just to let you know that I had this surgery twice and I never woke up with a headache afterwards, So you never know, it could be just fine after surgery. My nose was congested with all the packing, it was annoying but not painful. I will be thinking of you.

Terry

08/20/2011 11:13 PM
chanelle5

My surgery was awful I also am hypothyroid addison's and others but I had a cafe leak I was in the hospital for a week I never fully recovered in almost 2years but my tumor had outgrown its area and was hemmoraging on top of the leak which had to be patched with.a fat graph from my stomacher good luck I'm sure your experience will be better than mine

08/20/2011 11:26 PM
Rhub
Rhub  

What is a cafe leak? Is that just a typo? They did tell me some people leak spinal fluid and that gets a fat patch during a second surgery.

Did the Addisons or hypothyriod make it harder to recover?

08/21/2011 07:00 PM
chanelle5

Its a cfs or csf. Leak its the same thing as the fat patch ur talking about the docs did that and placed a lumbar drain up my spine mind u they pull it out without pain meds it was harder to recover for me because cause the after affects of removing a large bit of my pituitary gland it had grown so large I was leagally blind

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved