MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/28/2011 06:17 AM

Does anyone have memory problems after pituitary s

mem4718

Post edited by: Chantelle, at: 11/21/2011 07:25 AM

04/29/2011 09:20 PM
sacredriver

Hi Chantelle, I have noticed that I have a hard time coming up with the right word at times. I am not sure why. But I do, and some days it is worse than others. I find that if I picture what I am trying to say that helps. Sometimes, not always. And sometimes the wrong word will come out and my kids laugh at me! Oh well. I would much rather have this symptom than my headaches and fatigue.

So I try to make light of it. Hang in there and know you are not alone.

Terry

05/04/2011 03:35 PM
naturalone

Hi Chantelle, I too have terrible memory problems that started when i had a craniotomy.

At first it was real bad. I didnt even want to be around anyone because i didnt want them to know. With time that has gotten better.

05/05/2011 07:11 AM
mem4718

Post edited by: Chantelle, at: 11/21/2011 07:25 AM

05/09/2011 04:11 PM
JordynsGigi
JordynsGigi  

Hi Chantelle,

Ive noticed that my short term memory, word searching, and a few other cognitive areas, have changed since surgery. My insurance co. is going to arrange for some tests, to see if there are deficits... or if its all in my head! LOL Sorry, couldnt resist the pun.

It does upset me sometimes.. but I remind myself that things could be alot worse.

05/10/2011 01:39 AM
leemiddle

Hi all,

I had surgery over a year ago, and still have short term memory, cognitive and real spelling issues.. drives me crazySmile Had clean MRI in Dec. 2010, yeah! Neuro told me my issues had nothing to do with surgery, but was probably related to thyroid. Endo claims all my blood work is in range now, recall may have improved a bit. Am getting on a better exercise program to see if that makes a difference. Brenda, keep us posted on what you find out. Thanks for the hug and hope your son and family are OK now.

Still lots to be thankful for.. LeeMiddle

05/25/2011 03:16 PM
JordynsGigi
JordynsGigi  

Thanks LeeMiddle!

It seems to be kinda common for some of us to have short term memory problems after surgery. It must be related somehow.

Thanks for asking about my son, they are living in Yokohama, 5hrs south of the nuclear plant. Not far enough away for my liking though Smile

05/31/2011 08:19 AM
TheGh0st

I've also noticed some drastic short term memory issues. Has been source of ridicule by co-workers and criticism by boss. Endo and Neuro both claim it is nothing to do with their areas and have tried to pass it off as the simple side effects of being an early 40's woman nearing menopause.

The Neuro reluctantly agreed to set up some cognitive tests but then never called back to schedule like they said they would. I need to get them called to find out why but is a bit problematic to keep asking for time off work especially with all the little "flighty" mistakes I've been making. I don't like drawing more negative attention to myself.

06/10/2011 11:53 PM
leemiddle

There is quite a bit of research that documents cognitive dysfunction following pituitary tumor surgery, particularly with those who have non-functioning and also Cushings. http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/91/9/3364.full --- Accepted June 12, 2006; http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365- 2265.2010.03947.x/full

A new study on sleep issues after surgery could also increase memory issues as well as fatigue, etc, Home |2011 Archive |May 2011 |Biermasz et al. 96 (5): 1524

ENDOCRINE RESEARCH

Patients Previously Treated for Nonfunctioning Pituitary Macroadenomas Have Disturbed Sleep Characteristics, Circadian Movement Rhythm, and Subjective Sleep Quality- http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/96/5/1524.abstract

We all need more sleep and exerciseSmile

06/11/2011 10:05 PM
sacredriver

Wow! that was an interesting study about sleep issues, I have had lots of sleep issues, I feel like I never really fall into sleep for any long periods of time since my surgery. I never really thought about it much. Has any one found anything that helped them to sleep better? my family doctor suggested chamomille tea or melotonin. I haven't tried either one yet

Terry

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved