MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/08/2010 08:34 PM

Open MRI vs Closed MRI?

Mavven

Hi all this is my first post here. I will briefly describe my situation. I am a 32 year old male that has had anxiety on and off for abut 15 years. I recently went to a endocrinologist because I felt I needed to get my hormones tested (testosterone in particular) because of lack of sex drive, lack of motivation, extreme mood swings, not sleeping well to name a few. He ran a bunch of blood work and he confirmed that my main concern (testosterone) was definitely on the low side of the range for my age.

He also told me that my fsh was 0.7 (very low) and my LH was on the low side. He said just to be on the safe side I would like you to have a MRI of the brain with the focus on your pituitary.

Here is where I have a big problem, I went to see a ent about 6 years ago because i have constant ringing in my ears (tinnitus) and at the time they sent me for a MRI. I have a history of severe anxiety and I could not stay in the machine longer than 10 minutes and had to get out, and never went back.

Now I am faced with going in the MRI machine again, and this is where my question comes in. Would I be able to do a open MRI with the same results, or am I risking not getting a accurate reading by not going in the conventional machine? Has anyone here been in the same situation as I am as far as not being able to do a regular MRI?

Thanks in advance...

07/08/2010 08:45 PM
JordynsGigi
JordynsGigi  

Hi Mavven,

That is a tough situation youre in. I didnt know they could do an open MRI. I think you should try it, and see what the results say.

What about a CT scan?? Its alot quicker, and more open.

I have MRIs every 6mos.. and it does take alot of concentration sometimes not to freak out.

Welcome to the group

Brenda Smile

07/09/2010 09:22 AM
Darkangel

Hi Mavven,

Welcome to the group. Smile

I asked the same question, because I really do not like the MRI machine. In S.C. at my hospital, I was told I had to use the MRI Machine, because it is more accurate. The only open machine we have...is in the E.R. at my hospital. I have had 3 MRI's so far...and let me tell you what works for me. I go in and ask for headphones with music that I like. I then ask for a washcloth..I know...this sounds really weird, but it works for me.He!!I sit down on the table of the machine with my back to it, fold the washcloth in half and put it over my eyes. I do all of this without ever looking back at the machine. It's my own ritual, but I know that I have to get used to doing this every 3 to 6 months for a while I'm sure. Now when the staff see me coming, they already have my washcloth ready for me. hee!! It's a big joke with them now. I always tell them that I'm glad that my pain is their pleasure. heee!!

It actually works though. A friend of mine told me that after my first MRI. I also find that my breathing in and out slowly like I'm trying to go to sleep helps too. As long as I don't open my eyes, I do well. That's where the washcloth comes in.Smile

It would be worth asking about the Open MRI at your hospital though. It never hurts to ask. When you do have an MRI of some kind, I am sure you will do well.

Take care and keep us posted.

Ruth Smile

07/09/2010 09:35 AM
MacroMom

I used the washcloth trick too and it worked amazing. Definitely something for you to try. I've never heard of an open MRI. I do know that they can give you a seditive if you're closturphobic but then you just need to make sure that you have someone to drive you home afterwards. Good luck. It is tough but definitely worth while because you really need them to have an accurate picture of what they are looking at.

07/10/2010 04:19 AM
Weston
Weston  

Maaven: I just had my 4th MRI yesterday and all four have been 'open ones'. So, yes, they CAN do it! Please ck. around in your area for OPEN MRI facilities or, ask your doctor. Some of my family members in CA, like others have mentioned to you here, also have had music w/headphones during their scans.(I haven't asked for music). I keep my eyes closed while in the machine as well, and this works perfectly for me. The MRI facility I go to is VERY patient friendly and accommodating and will go out of their way to make sure you're comfortable. They provide ear plugs, and keep in contact w/you throughout the procedure. The machine I was in yesterday was their newest and most 'open machine'. Much less noisy, too! Like Ruth told you, I'm sure you will do well! I, too, was told by several people that the MRI is the most accurate.

Post edited by: Weston, at: 07/10/2010 04:27 AM

07/10/2010 10:12 PM
Mavven

I'm sorry I am a bit late to reply, I would like to thank everyone that has responded to my post. Westin I clicked under your profile and I read what you are going through and that you were diagnosed with a pituitary tumor, first and foremost I wish you the best of luck, you sound like you have a positive attitude I wish I had some of those traits. If you don't mind me asking, was the tumor discovered the first time with a conventional tube MRI? Or was it discovered with a open MRI machine?

I pay my own health insurance out of pocket, and they are not the best insurance company, Monday my Dr. will have to ask for approval from them to have this MRI, so I don't want to go through the entire process of getting approval and then the day of my MRI I will end up flipping out and not able to stay in the machine, then my insurance will be charged and NO MRI!

If you tell me that they diagnosed your tumor with a open MRI I will feel so relieved, I am in NYC and I have researched a few hospitals that my insurance company is affiliated with, and they do have open MRI machines, my concern is that the pituitary is so small I don't want the machine to miss anything.

Once again thanks in advance for all the help I have received so far...

07/11/2010 09:17 AM
Weston
Weston  

Mavven: Yes, all four MRI scans have been OPEN, including the FIRST one in late April, 09. All at the same MRI facility. I'm a bit claustrophobic myself (nothing severe), so, for my first one, I requested an open MRI. You have nothing to worry about because these 'open systems' provide the highest level of diagnostic accuracy and patient comfort. (I say 'patient comfort' because the one I go to uses Tempur-Pedic table pads). Very nice! Ha-ha. I know it's easier said than done, but I'm confident you will do great! Just tell the technicians at the facility your concerns in advance. My facility always calls one day beforehand to pre-register me, answer any concerns/ questions, etc. Best of luck and keep us posted!! Again, I'm certain you will do great!! P.S. I try to stay positive although, like everyone, I have my 'meltdown moments', too. After one year though, I'm learning this journey "is not a sprint, but a marathon." It's not for the 'faint of heart', as someone not long ago said. Take care!!!

Post edited by: Weston, at: 07/11/2010 09:19 AM

07/12/2010 08:48 PM
Mavven

Hey thanks a ton Weston for all the helpful information. I found a place at Montefiore Medical Center in Bronx NY that has a new more modern open MRI machine. I am now waiting for my Dr. to get the pre certification approval from my crappy insurance company.

I will definitely keep you updated on the outcome of the MRI once I get it done and receive the results, hopefully it is nothing and my pituitary is just not functioning properly, time will only tell.

Once again thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it.

Mike.

07/13/2010 06:47 AM
lifesroadblocks

I am also new here, but wanted to reply to your post. I was diagnosed with a microadenoma in January 2010 and am waiting for my second MRI next Tuesday. I was diagnosed using open MRI even though my tumor is much smaller than most others, so I do have confidence in the open MRI. Along with all of the suggestions from others for making it thru the MRI process I also get two anti-anxiety pills from my MD, I take one an hour prior to the procedure and one right before I go in. They just make me mellow and less worried. I always keep my eyes closed and try deep breathing like I am trying to go to sleep. If you do try the medication route you will need a driver to and from your MRI. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

07/15/2010 01:17 AM
positive1

Post edited by: positive1, at: 08/30/2010 12:01 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved