MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/13/2008 12:22 PM

pituitary function

suelynnes
suelynnes  

I don't have an adenoma. My pituitary just stopped functioning. They have found at least 4 hormones out of balance or non-existent in addition to my thyroid dying and my adrenal gland hyperfunctioning. I am used to teaching people about signs, symptoms etc., but this has been so much so fast I am having problems coping. You are the only group I have found that even closely resembles a place for people with non-functioning pituitaries. I don't know where else to start this. Suelynne

03/17/2008 01:52 PM
herro
herro  

Hello, I just joined group, still need to post in intros. have you had mri contrast to look at pituitary gland? I had surgery for tumor, my pituitary was probalby damaged cuz it stopped producing acth. what hormones have they checked? are you seeing endocrinologist?

03/17/2008 04:47 PM
suelynnes
suelynnes  

I had 2 pituitary MRI's 2 years apart with no tumors or abnormality noted. I have had Hashimoto's thyroidits which is caused by an antibody since I was a teen, but they didn't diagnose it until 2 years ago. They think having my thyroid down for so long caused the pituitary to just short out. I am past child bearing, so the decreased female hormones are not a problem, but I have the IGF-1 of an 80 year old and I have had since age 40 (13 years ago) so that is a problem. My pituitary stim test done with Growth hormone was really bad. My brain looks like it belongs to a much older person and so do my organs. It really sucks eggs. I started growth hormone replacement 2 weeks ago but it is my understanding that it will prevent further damage but not reverse anything. The side effects are not really fun either. How do athletes do this stuff anyway??? My renal hormones are elevated and I have an adenoma on my right adrenal producing estrogen (no ovaries). I am seeing Endocrine number 6. I am a retired (now anyway) RN, ICU with advance practice training and I am still trying to figure out how I can help so many people and not myself. Suelynne

Post edited by: suelynnes, at: 03/17/2008 18:49

03/18/2008 07:13 AM
herro
herro  

hi, hopfully taking growth hormone will make you feel better,maybe it just takes awhile. when my cortisol crashed it was a few days before i felt alive again.i never really felt good again untili took 3-4x normal dose of hydrocortisone for back injury.have you ever gotten copies of your mri reports? different drs can read them differently, one might say it's unchanged and another say slight growth or shadow on this spot now.

03/18/2008 11:02 AM
suelynnes
suelynnes  

Yes, I have all the MRI's and boy am I ever familiar with the issues of reading them. I had both sent to other radiologists for 2nd opinions and they pretty much concurred on both. I noticed I have a slight increase in energy today which can only be attributed to the growth hormone. I hope it continues. I just want to feel a little more human. Susan

03/18/2008 01:16 PM
herro
herro  

do you take meds for thyroid too? my endo wants to check mine again cuz last time it was normal but only one # away from being low. i think my thyroid is starting to fade....all your glands are so dependent on each other that i think having one screwed up effects the rest. the pituitary controls all the rest but needs the feedback. we are like old appliances with a short circuit somewhere!!

03/18/2008 02:42 PM
suelynnes
suelynnes  

I have hashimoto's and have had since puberty, but they didn't figure it out until 2 years ago, so I went 38 years untreated. I am on thyroid now, recombinant growth hormone injections, I have hormonal hypertension, renal hormones are out of whack most of the time, adrenal adenoma was producing estrogen but has stopped. I am a walking short circuit. My insides look like an 80 year olds instead of a 53 year olds. The hormones will stop the progression of all this, but not reverse anything so my life expectancy will be much shorter than I ever imagined. This has not been fun. Susan

03/18/2008 07:02 PM
herro
herro  

wow! how did you function? i worry now how much damage was done to my body over the yrs from high cortisol. i was ok until i turned 41 and since then it's been all downhill. i'm 50 now so you're not much older then i am. i really want to be here to enjoy grandchildren. i have 1 granddaughter. one of my sons will probably never have kids and the other son won't for a few yrs. my daughter only wants the one she has. i really didn't expect this was where i'd be at this age. how did you picture your life after 50? think positive!! make peace with yourself and just enjoy life.

03/19/2008 07:35 AM
suelynnes
suelynnes  

I miscarried my only pregnancy around 14 weeks. I never could get pregnant again and I developed the anticardiolipin antibody and started clotting and bleeding. They don't know what is triggering the bleeding, but I do that too. I ended up having a hysterectomy. I married a man with 5 grown kids and there are 12 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren now who consider me grandma, so I am doing fine. At 53, I have learned to take things as they come, change what I can and whine about the things I can't change. LOL! I am so warped when I talk about being sick. Is this normal?? Susan

04/24/2008 02:03 PM
suelynnes
suelynnes  

Well, just an update. My IGF-1 has come up so I am feeling a little more energy. I saw ortho today and they think when I fell on my leg in 1984, I tore the cartilage in my hip and of course no one would listen to me and do an MRI, so I am having an arthrogram on Tues. O Joy! I hate needles. I can give them, I just hate getting them. I also noticed that for the first time in 10 years I am finally putting on some muscle and guess what!!! My abdomen is down 2 inches. YEA! I have waited 26 years for some good news. I hope this keeps up. SusanSmile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved