MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/01/2010 07:11 AM

Hello - I'm a newbie

chosenspot

Hi All,

I am a recovering alcoholic and substance abuser. This past summer i went to a psychologist and got an evaluation done (I didn't realize it was that in depth) Anyway, I was diagnosed with Dependent Personality Disorder. When I looked it up online, it explained alot of my behavior(s) during my life - anxiety, depression, fear, etc.

Recently I started a new job (fits into the pattern -along with the anxiety and fear the new job brings) and i dont have health insurance yet. I thought it would be a good idea to speak with people who deal with the same things i deal with - hence, here I am Smile

Any kind of advice or suggestions that people could share would be greatly appreciated

Thanks and God bless

09/01/2010 01:35 PM
turtlegirl
turtlegirl  

Hi chosenspot,

First of all welcome! And then congratulations!

I am not a recovering addict or alcoholic, but my husband is an ex alcoholic. So, I do understand the struggles, somewhat. But there are others here whom I'm sure can relate fully with you.

I too suffer from anxiety and depression. Probably depression is my worse. When I was younger I had a hard time stepping outside the norm, starting something or somewhere new, being introduced to new people, and so on, my self esteem as always been low. I still consider myself shy, I feel like now in my life though I have overcome these things a great deal.

Maybe someone will be along soon who can help with advice and suggestions.

TG

09/02/2010 09:53 AM
chosenspot

Thanks turtlegirl.

09/02/2010 02:27 PM
mem8850

Welcome Chosenspot.....you chose the right place to come for support and friends.....MDJ is the BEST site on the net for immediate response from leaders and members....i see you met turtlegirl....she's a great member and a huge help here in this forum....she does alot of writing, and helps new members find their way.....you mentioned having just had a discussion with your Pdoc....how are you handling the dx? Pease feel free to PM me if you want to talk in private....it's confidential, and i tell no tales out of school....and PLEASE feel free to post anything you like.......we love to get posts from new members....so once again, Welcome to MDJ, and i hope to see you real soon.

Blessed Be..........robert12345

09/02/2010 02:30 PM
mem8850

I was an abuser of substances as well....i used ALOT of drugs and drank like no tommorrow....so i understand how you feel dealing with that problem....i just wanted you to know there is someone who shares your'e feelings and experiences in that dept.....i sincerely hope to see you back on soon.....we can chat too....this forum has a built in chatroom.

Blessed Be.........Robert 12345

09/02/2010 02:31 PM
turtlegirl
turtlegirl  

Hey Robert!

Saw that you were online. How's your day going?

TG

09/02/2010 03:25 PM
mem8850

Glad we had a chance to chat....always good to heaar from you TG.......glad your'e doing well.

09/03/2010 05:01 AM
chosenspot

Thanks for the support, Robert. The dx is ok but anxiety is eating me up. Just alot of things going on and I tend to handle adversity like an ostrich.

09/03/2010 02:57 PM
mem8850

same here chosen......when things get rough, i hide.LOL.....seriously yeah, i do....are there any meds they gave you for anxiety? If not there's a bhuddist breathing method that works wonders.....sit on a pillow and get comfy......close your eyes, and slowly count your outward breaths as you get to ten.....count backwards counting silently your breaths in.....if you do this for 20 min or so....the anxiety just kind of goes away.....this was taught to me by a seriously into his bhuddism bhuddist.....it's basic meditation.....and it works. You may have more severe anxiety....if so you should talk to your Pdoc and ask for something for situational anxiety......(something for when it's real bad).....keep posting, let me know how the meditation works out for you, and just stay in touch.....it's good to have you here.

Blessed Be........Robert

09/04/2010 03:55 AM
chosenspot

Hey robert. My primary doc put me on rx strength benadryl. he thought that would help with the anxiety. It just makes me a sleepy anxious person lol. Im glad you brought up the meditation. When i was in rehab, we spent some time doing some meditation/relaxation techniques. I still remember them. They will definitely help at work when I start "losing it"

Thanks for the advice and reminding me of the tools I have in my toolbox.

Anyway I copied the below model and it fits me to a tee (there are other models and I have some of those traits too - but this is the closest)

High Neuroticism

Chronic negative affects, including anxiety, fearfulness, tension, irritability, anger, dejection, hopelessness, guilt, shame; difficulty in inhibiting impulses: for example, to eat, drink, or spend money; irrational beliefs: for example, unrealistic expectations, perfectionistic demands on self, unwarranted pessimism; unfounded somatic concerns; helplessness and dependence on others for emotional support and decision making.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved