MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/25/2010 11:54 PM

The role of therapy in mental health

mem8850

How many of you have a regular therapist? i don't....

So i'm really curious how large a part of your'e personal "recovery"......in MY reality....my doc says i'm not "ready" to delve into the belly of the beast.

There are terrors lurking there i'd rather not relive....but i guess therapy means facing down those boogiemen in those dark and sublime closets? What happens when they come dancing out into the sunlight and stares you in the face? I ask this in earnest...i haven't had ANY therapy in most of a year....it's offered where i go for treatment...but i'm not quite "there" yet How does it work having therapy along with meds? What do you talk about behind that door? I know mine scares me.....what about you????????????????

03/28/2010 10:41 PM
mem7722

you really have to be ready for it! its not nice. in my experience you have to be relatively 'well' to be able to handle it. councilling is different its helpfull anytime i think. but i have just come out of an intensive 5 day a week, all day, therapy programme as it messed me up more (and they were for complex needs people) they didnt look after me and left me worse off. but just because ive had a bad experience doesnt mean im not willing to try again in the future with it

03/29/2010 08:40 AM
mem8850

i'm sill in the dark.....so, do you give them your past, and demons....and they listento you....and then what? do they halp you find solutions to issues....or do they just listen???

03/29/2010 11:22 AM
mem7722

it really depends on what type of therapy is on offer to you..... youre best bet is to speak to your pdoc x

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved