MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/14/2010 02:45 PM

Parkinson's and driving

Jupiterjane
Jupiterjane  

Over the last 6 months I have noticed my driving becoming more and more of a chore. It take considerable more attention to concentrate on the mechanics of driving than I have ever found before. I recently had an accident and ran off the road into a culvert. I do not remember how or why I got in the ditch I do know it was the first accident I have ever had. I don't know if I feel asleep, misjudged the curve, swerved to miss an animal, I just don't know. I do know that driving and the thought of driving scares me now and I was wondering what other Parkinson's patients experiences with driving has been or is?

Jupiterjane

03/14/2010 03:09 PM
mem2121

Jane, my driving had gotten bad in that I didn't realize that I had lost strength in my legs. I was always complaining that the brakes on my car had gotten bad. Many a time I scared my family by almost rear-ending other drivers. As it turned out, of course, when I started taking the PD meds,those problems went away.

03/14/2010 03:41 PM
Jupiterjane
Jupiterjane  

So Steve are you still driving on a regular basis?

Jane

03/14/2010 03:54 PM
mem2121

I usually let my wife drive. I can and do drive sometimes but I'm a bit afraid of it, now. If I don't feel especially well then I won't drive.

Post edited by: songfellow, at: 03/14/2010 06:12 PM

03/14/2010 03:57 PM
Jupiterjane
Jupiterjane  

Thanks Steve, my life has been full of way too many decisions lately. Just wanted to hear what others thought.

Jane

03/14/2010 04:21 PM
dbaumann57
dbaumann57  
I'm an Advocate

Why is it when we are at our weakest, we get thrown at us more STUFF? Jane, just one thing at a time like you are doing is good. Intentionally deal w/only one decision before you move on to the next decision you need to make, maybe than you won't get so overwhelemed or feel out of control. (I only know, this theory has helped me tremendously, or I would never even begin to suggest something that might not help and Jane it is only a suggestion, you need to do what is best for you)

You are a very strong women and are asking the right questions of the right person. Steve is a rock and I'm so glad he's who he is. What he does for each of us is amazing.

Jane, Keep on keeping on!

03/14/2010 07:25 PM
Pixie1960
Pixie1960  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Dear Jane,

If you feel unsafe driving or doubt your driving abilities it may be time to stop driving.

I haven't been able to drive since Dec 8th of last year when I started having freezing episodes and my neurologist thought it would be unsafe. I go back to see him on March 25tha nd I'm hoping he'll let me drive again.

Still I don't like driving long distances anymore. I stay here in town.

Think about it hard...I hope you can come to a decision soon. Talk to your doctor. I hate not being able to drive but it was for my own saety and the safety of others.

Hope you can come to a decision soon. Take care of yourself!

Many hugs,

Kathleen

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved