MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/17/2012 01:59 AM

Septra (Bactrim) ?

pblair
pblair  

I had a phone consultation with my sons Dr. today. She wants him to start Septra in 3 weeks. When I got off of the phone I researched it. This stuff looks scary. Does anyone here have any experiance with it?

I think I may call back and ask for something else. I wonder what another alternative would be?

04/18/2012 03:58 PM
missy33

My neice took bactrim and did fine with it... she did get better from lyme and eurichlia. My daughter had an alergic reaction so she couldnt take it. If you are worried about a reaction, make his first dose early in the day so you can keep a close eye on him. And I believe its important to eat something with it so she doesnt get sick. My husband was on it and was fine.

Good luck! I hope it helps him and he does well with it!

04/19/2012 12:17 AM
pblair
pblair  

How soon did your daughter have a reaction? What were the signs? Sorry for all of the questions.

04/19/2012 05:07 AM
missy33

No please, ask away! I made the mistake of giving her the first dose at dinnertime... thinking if she got s little tummy ache she would sleep through it.... she woke up around 1 and threw up.... then she was acting really wired. I just thought it made her jumpy like steroids do. I went to bed at 4 am and my hubby got up with her. An hr later we were in the er with swelling.

She just got some oral steriods and some pills to take home. It wasnt too bad, but I was scared! Her lips were bigger than ANgelina Jolie!!!

Thats why I say give it to her early in the day so you can watch her reaction. And keep an eye on her for the frist five doses, just to make sure she doesnt have a delayed reaction. But its a good med. for kids with lyme and coinfection.... I wish she hadnt been allergic!

04/19/2012 12:55 PM
pblair
pblair  

Wow- Thanks for the information. I'm still debating if I want to give it to him. My mom is very allergic to it and I'm scared to give it to him. He still is able to attend school and I hate sending him when trying new meds. I fear him getting sick and Im not there for himSad

04/19/2012 07:40 PM
missy33

Well, maybeyou can try it on a Sat. morning. This way he can have it for two days straight before school. I thik he would have a reaction by then, but check witht he doctor or pharmacist to make sure.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved