MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/15/2012 02:19 PM

Why bipolars refuse medication

AmyGirl19

/

I read this alot question alot, Why do bipolars refuse medication ?

Please if you realy want to know why we refuse, take a few of these pills YOURSELF, and you will know why most likely in the first hour.

Descriptive words like zombie,mental retard,sexual dysfunction and "the shakes" are something to be felt if you are going to truely understand.

Take a few of the pills, it won't hurt you just like they don't hurt us.

If you prick us do we not bleed ?

04/15/2012 02:24 PM
vansmom

Thanks for your post. It always helps to have another perspective. I agree that the meds have horrible side effects but for some they are the only option. For others behavioral modification therapy can help one adjust. It is important for people to make these facts known so that advances in psychiatric medicine will be made rather than merely accepting what we have.

04/15/2012 04:29 PM
AmyGirl19

I try, My wording may sound a little harsh TRY THE PILLS YOURSELF...But I felt it was the only way to get the point across to my own family who read all this stuff online that suggests I am a bad person for not taking/liking pills and I reject this whole idea that the reason is "Im sick so I don't know any better" That is so insulting.

There is alot of bad information about bipolar out there.

04/15/2012 06:51 PM
clearthinker
clearthinker  

AmyGirl9 Do you have a bipolar child? Have you ever been completely responsible for a child's behavior? Have you had friends, family, and authorities harass you because of an out of control bipolar child?

I do not have bipolar but if my behavior was so bad that I was setting myself up to fail or if my behavior was so bad that I was damaging myself and other people I would absolutely take medication. The right medication is the only way and reason some bipolar people live and can function. The prison system is full of untreated bipolar people, that is one of the many reasons parents try so hard to find the right combination of medication so our children can be successful and not set their life up for failure. My daughter is bipolar and does not take any medication. She has had years and years of therapy. Even though she had all that therapy and knowledge behind her, her life is still hard and the right medication could make her life so much easier. I raised both my children on organic foods and I do not take any medication and grew up believing in not taking any. After watching my bipolar child so out of control with awful behavior and lies, I feel the right medication would make her life and everyone around her so much better. Unless you are a parent of a bipolar child and have been completely responsible for that child you have NO idea what parents go through while raising an untreated bipolar child.

04/16/2012 01:32 AM
AmyGirl19

Clear thinker, you said "right medication" four times. once saying "combination" in between.

That phrase implies it exists and we should take dangerous and sickening pills that go almost to the soul (our feelings and conscienceness) over and over to find this mythical thing no matter how sick we get along the way.

Im standing my ground, take a few pills YOURSELF and you WILL understand all this.

"I feel the right medication would make her life and everyone around her so much better."

If she doesn't dislike the effects its possible.

" Unless you are a parent of a bipolar child and have been completely responsible for that child you have NO idea what parents go through while raising an untreated bipolar child."

This is true.

Its easy to take a few bipolar medications and TOTALY understand why a person would refuse them.

I / we responded to the wrong thread, let me see what you wrote on the topic you started about your daughter.

04/16/2012 05:23 AM
jjsmom

Amygirl19,if you don't mind me asking your age, only because my son 24(BP) refuses to take meds also.He has commented the dreams are to horrific,and he just felt worse. He refused to try anything else(which unfortunately sometimes must be done).He no longer lives at home.He does seem to hold down a job,but is still homeless and continues to make fly by decisions.Living around people and places where things could get worse. OH he's also been to jail several times and has a drug addict girl pregnant.Your right about this crap take these meds and if doesn't work then we'll try those.Please understand that there are different degrees of BP.What works for some may not work with others.I notice you said why WE refuse to take meds.Maybe you might be one who could just go through therapy and really discuss your ability to be productive without meds.I just hope you find what your looking for.Keep posting maybe your parents will start paying attention to what your trying to tell them.Only good wishes for you.

04/17/2012 11:43 PM
pmom
pmom  

jjmom i totally agree with you im afraid my daughters is headed the same path as your son shes refusing to take her meds shes had horrible side affects one witch i witness and still haunts me till this day now she says shes cant learn or read and is depressive i know i did the right thing but sometimes im so confused and then i have to remind myself of the horrible things that happened with family friends authority just like you...i dont think we will never get the right answer..and my daughter has also mentioned her loss of soul feelings emotions just like amygirl19... soo stressful

04/17/2012 11:53 PM
pmom
pmom  

amygirl19 everything you say my daughter says to me, soo i totally understand where your coming from. I feel my daughters pain but i also know people that take meds and are doing well. My daughter is almost 18 bittersweet for me on one side shes going to make her own decionsns and on another it worries me that most of the time when shes going through a manic ,depressive or phycosis, she doesnt seen to notice it,to her everything is normal and that really worries me...i wish you the best of luck

04/18/2012 03:28 AM
rlt
rlt  

Amygirl, of course there are two sides to every issue, and the patient (bipolar young adult) is the most important side. The side effects of medication are definitely not being disputed by any parent here, but as with any treatment the possible benefits have to outweigh the risks. Parden my grammer, but this is a bitch of an illness. It is unseen to the naked eye, while the sufferer lives with it, usually denying (because maybe they are unaware) they have an illness at all! Most of the time they justify the behaviour associated with this disease as PTSD or anxiety. My daughter is bipolar/borderline/antisocial ect... No one could love her more then me, but this illness has lied to her and manipulated her into behaviour which is untolerable. she was committed and medicated. she was released to our care and manipulated (high IQ)counselors, so because of her denial never got help. she took herself off all meds and she is still paranoid. With meds or without... the sameSad(( Parents are not just trying to medicate their kids for the hell of it. We want these human beings whom we love, to have a chance at a happy and productive life.

04/18/2012 10:00 AM
clearthinker
clearthinker  

rlt, You said it beautifully. I was once told by a psychiatrist that if we do not help our children with mediation is could be called child abuse, not giving them what they so desperately need. And like rlt said, the possible benefits have to outweigh the risks'.

Some side effects are much easier to deal with than a prison sentence. Some people have very little side effects and some people can not tolerate medication at all, but I think if the bipolar person is so out of control that it is destroying the person's ability to function then they have to weigh it all out. I was raised very organic from a German grandmother that believed we could make our own medications out of natural herbs, I raised my children like that so when my daughter developed on set adult bipolar around age 19 I tried everything in the organic family to help her but I knew in my heart she needs chemical medication, the thought of this cringed me because of my back ground but I knew she needed something stronger and my highest goal and her goal is to watch her have a successful happy life and the way she was going was going, she was going to end up in prison or dead. My daughter came close to death with her ugly behavior several times. My daughter is now 30 and her chemistry has changed a great deal since she was 19 and she has suffered greatly over her own behavior and choices and she has hit rock bottom, and I mean the bottom of the bottom, because every time I thought she hit rock bottom she would come down to another level of bottom but when she finally hit the core of the bottom was when things finally clicked for her. Damn it took her a LONG time. I believe if she was on the right medication that would have helped her make decent decisions she would have saved herself years and years of wasted life, time and thousands of dollars.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved