MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/14/2012 08:33 PM

Thinking Bipolar

devildog6

Hello,

We are currently living a nightmare. My daughter has yet to be diagnosised but I am thinking Bipolar. She goes from giddy and comical which is quite funny. Then turns to extreme anger to rage. Not only toward me but toward my husband as well. She was in a rage for over 6 hours one night and punched a hole in her bedroom wall that we called a crisis line to take to a councilor. She even will get physical with both of us with no fear what so ever.Then she moves to a depressive state where she will not get up even if we move her. This cycle occurs multiple times per day and leaves us guessing if she is going to come home from school giddy, depressive and hides in her room or the classic better run and hide because she is in a rage. She besides this really has no reason or classic precursers to this as has been disscused with therapists and psycologists. She is an A/B student in school and I have not heard of any issues with her from school. seems like she saves it for home. The therapist and psycologists are having issues on trying to figure her out. She is 12 going on 13 and now we are dealing with which test they can do with her. Her behavior is quite extreme from one mood to the next and not what I would call typical preteen behavior. We first though oppositional defiant however I don't believe they go through the stair at the paint drying on the wall glance as she doesn't move off the couch or bed if the house was on fire. And I didn't really think anything of the comical/giddiness until I started reading about bipolar. I am wondering if this is what if looks like?

04/15/2012 06:06 AM
jjsmom

Hello Devildog,I wouldn't be to quick to put a mental illness label at this point even though she does share some symptons of BP.There are alot and I do mean alot of other illness' that mimic BiPolar.Just continue to take her to the dr's and therapist.Maybe they can get her on some type of meds to see if they help her symptons.BiPolar along with other mental illness' can get extremely trying.Things are done by trial and error.Don't misunderstand I'm not saying your daughter isn't BiPolar or even that she is.Just be patient as hard as that can be and continue getting her help.I'm sure your already on top of that.I'm glad your here.Hang in there and continue to come back to vent,update or anything you need to get off your chest.This site has been a life saver for alot of us.WELCOME!!

04/17/2012 09:48 AM
devildog6

Big question today. Will we start to get some help and answers or be told once again that we are in a holding pattern. Will visits to the therapists and psycologist be pointless once again. I can not handle much more we have been coming and going for months with no progress except talk therapy. It is all good in front of them but the symptoms really come out the minute we leave. My husband is very patient but is at his wits end with trying to help his little baby girl. I have never seen him so broken to find answers.

04/17/2012 04:38 PM
lillipets
Group Leader

You may need to set up a "nanny cam" to show the pdoc exactly what goes on.

04/18/2012 03:42 PM
td2005
td2005  

Deveildog6- I can realte to just about everything you have posted. My DD is 9 and has a dx of BP. Before getting on her meds she cycled very quickly, meaning happy 1 min raging the next, she did this all day everyday, 75 times a day. She also has no problems at school (THANK GOD)she saves it all for home. I never know what is going to walk through my door at 4pm, happy, sad, angry. I hate to say I dread her coming home from school. We have a great psycologist but have yet to find a therapist that doesnt simply waste our time. We are going to see a new 1 in May (crossing my fingers). It took us YEARS to find the right meds for her but she is stable for now.

I am wondering if you have always had problems with her or is this something new?

04/18/2012 07:10 PM
devildog6

Thanks everyone. Yes she has had issues in the past. However the extreme rage and mood swings are more apparent now. I to wonder how she is going to come home from school. I cross my finger and hope I do not have to lock myself in my room. We went to the psyhcologist and of coarse we are doing a ADHD test. This is a waste of time for us as we explained that she does not have that. I am very familiar with ADD,ADHD and aspbergers. It is in our family but she is not like this at all. The Therapist told us that we are in crisis situation however says she is too young to be bipolar. I just wish we can get results to help her. We love her very much but can stand to be around her at times.

04/18/2012 08:44 PM
pmom
pmom  

Too young to be biopolar?? maybe you need to get a second opinion ,i pray to God is not biopolar mine got diagnose at 12 but got very severe at 14 ..I still have holes on my walls and changed her broken door a couple of times.But if i think back those symptoms were there since she was a baby..MY husband is very patient but he finally had enough he had to withdraw from it all and i dealt with her all by my self..it was the best thing if not he would of ended up in jail...

04/19/2012 11:25 AM
td2005
td2005  

My DD is only 9 but I am wondering if the problems get worse when they hit puberty? As I have said my DD is stable on meds but I often wonder if things will change when she hits puberty.

Devildog~ Many docs will not diagnose a child with bipolar because they feel that is to young to put a "lable" on a child. Our doc, treats my DD with bipolar meds but has yet to actually fully dx her as bipolar because he doesnt want to label her. I say call a spade a spade!

04/19/2012 12:39 PM
pmom
pmom  

mine was stable or should i say managable till about 14..yes youll probably see a change when she hits puberty..i have a nephew that is autistic and his behavior is very similar to my daughter hes13 and my sister is having a hard time his behavior got worse

04/19/2012 08:53 PM
devildog6

I went to an awesome seminar with a psychologist. How to transform the most difficult child. I learned that NO doesn't exist and to ask redirecting questions instead. It worked right away, no fighting with me for the answer she wanted to hear. She answered it for herself. Then we held a small family meeting . We made a list of 5 rules for the family in which I let her make 3 of them. No more than 3-5 rules at a time until we feel the results are happening on a consistent basis. One rule I made was a no yelling rule or else the punishment was a 30 minute time out and that goes for myself and husband. I will let you all know how the rule go. The psychologist said that we had a difficult case but the most important thing was for us to stay calm and to keep her at an even mood. And the most important thing was to recognize good behavior no matter how small it may be or even for her in a stable mood. No big consequences for behavior we do not want and try to catch the good behaviors. Send her a message everyday that we love her.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved