MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/05/2012 08:55 PM

My 12 year old son wishes for death

somemom

My son just turned 12 and is constantly upset about why he has to be alive on this planet. He worries over everything in the universe. He has daily cycles of highs to lows- but throughout when he stops and thinks about it he feels that life is not worth living and that he is torturing himself, his sister and me. He chooses to do or not do work at school- never putting in much effort because he thinks that it is ultimately pointless. Has anybody who's been through this suffering seen their child make it to a happier place?

04/05/2012 09:27 PM
angora
angora  

Sorry, I have no experience quite like this as my daughter is 28 (bp since age 13). I would definately not ignore this and would bring it to the attention of your sons doctor. Is he in therapy? I wish all the best.

04/06/2012 05:19 AM
lillipets
Group Leader

My son has had these feelings since he was about 8 yrs old, and he is now 20. He still struggles with suicidal thoughts. Some days are better than others. But it is so heartbreaking to see your child suffer like this.

Is your son seeing a therapist and psychiatrist?

04/06/2012 09:19 AM
ange2009
ange2009  
VIP Member

so sad that a young person would question his being on this earth.I feel for you.

Therapy is definitly important and necessary,meds also,but sometimes it seems ..that no one cant fix this..

there was a few young men[3] 15years old about who commited suicide near my town ,by throwing themselves under a coming train..one of them was the son of the school administrator.what is there to do?

one thing is to accept,treat and recognize mental illness,and to respect it like we do with cancer.

all my love and hugs to you.

Jackie.

04/06/2012 12:00 PM
lillipets
Group Leader

ange2009 - it's interesting you mention cancer. I told my son and his therapist that I have resigned myself to the fact that my son has a "terminal illness." I will do all I can and explore all options but I'm afraid that ultimately he will take his own life.

04/06/2012 12:58 PM
ange2009
ange2009  
VIP Member

I hope and pray,that he wont take his life,life is precious,whether we see it or not.we come here to learn,suffer,and all we can do is to be strong thru all of this.

my dear lillipets,I will keep you,your family in my heart.

hugs.Jackie.

04/06/2012 01:03 PM
ange2009
ange2009  
VIP Member

to somemom,my heart goes out to you,it is so hard to understand why a young child would see his life as he does.

it brings me to tears to imagine your pain,you try soo hard ,and yet,your son cant be reached.

i will keep you in my prayers,and send all positive thoughts.

hugs.

Jackie.

04/06/2012 04:54 PM
meggsmom

I am so sorry to hear you are going thru this I hope you find the right meds to help him get out of this darkness. There is hope. Keep trying to get the right meds. My daughter attempted suicide last summer. it was devastating.

For some reason, i found her before it was too late. I thank God for telling me to check on her.

It is devastating. I will pray for you and keep you in my thoughts. Keep loving him as you are.

04/08/2012 07:09 AM
MyBPteen

I too am so sorry, I can relate though, my daughter was 12 when she was cutting, at 13 I found out she was making regular & thankfully failed suiside attempts, just like your son she had given up on life, found pleasure in nothing, she saw no point in being alive & felt that nobody would miss her. Of course reasoning with her didn't help. Ultimatly I did the most difficult thing I have done my entire life, and I am not claiming that I handled this perfectly, you have to do what ever it takes to do an intervention though. I lied to her, I had her older sister in the know, I told her that her step dad had a car accident, that we needed to go to the hospital right away because I was very worried about it. She couldn't even feel emotions and was like a robot at this point, so in the car she went, complaining the whole ride. I was just flying by the seat of my pants, no plan of how I would get her into the ER & when I would actually tell her, so I just let things play out, my heart exploding in my chest, my hands shaking. Once in the ER I went to the desk & told them I wanted my daughter evaluated. I took a seat, she was still without a clue, then they called her name & she shot me a look & walked into the nurses area & I told her we were there for her, that I was worried about her, not step dad. She was mad but cooperated & admitted; much to my suprise; that she wished she was dead. They held us in the back till a bed was open & the journey began. I cried for 2 straight days, like your son she is just a baby to me at this point, nobody should go through this.

He needs you to do the most selfless thing, to get him help, even if it's a nightmare to think about doing. The road will feel like it goes on forever, and with luck he can be stabalized, I have saved my daughters life (her words) many times, and in my daughters case she is very seriously bipolar.

As I said; it was the hardest day of my life, I was terrified for her & for myself, I even thought about the stigma she and I might have to face, and we did, but as selfless an act as taking her in was it was awful feeling while doing it, just please dont wait, we can't change yesterday but we can set in place changes that might make tomorrow a brighter place..

Hugs

Please update us, what ever you decide to do

04/08/2012 08:57 AM
ange2009
ange2009  
VIP Member

you did well,an intervention with family members involved is great,you did what your heart ,and your guts,told you to do.

happy Easter.Jackie.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved