MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/01/2011 10:56 AM

I Feel Like Such a Bad mom...

behindthemask

I did it again - I lost it with my son,, I actually yelled I hated him and got in the car and drove off to run errands and get away...

I hate to admit it because I am so embarrased to ever say that to my child. But he knows my faults and buttons and pushes them over and over and over...

I try to ignore him but I just had no patience yesterday Sad

Am I the only one to say that to my CHILD?? I cried so hard after that...

11/01/2011 11:05 AM
bailey19
bailey19Posts: 500

Bless your heart. You get pushed to the very edge and say something that breaks your heart. Been there, done that. Don't beat yourself up....it won't help. Forgive yourself, ask him to forgive you and move on. I've had to RUN out of the house biting my tongue before to keep from saying something I knew I would regret later. If the trees in our woods could talk, they'd sure have some ugly stories to tell about some of the things I've said out there amongst them.

Post edited by: bailey19, at: 11/01/2011 11:06 AM

11/01/2011 11:57 AM
cmm5sing
cmm5sing  

Oh, I'm so sorry. You are not a horrible person, you are human. I agree with bailey19, you need to just go to your son, tell him you love him, that you do NOT hate him and ask for his forgiveness. Explain to him why you said that and that you just got pushed to the edge. I have also said some extremely degrading things to my son before...it is so so very hard. One can only take so much. Your son knows that you love him.

11/01/2011 02:51 PM
mtadkins5
mtadkins5  

Been there done that! My heart goes out to you. All of us here truly know what you mean. I am sure you are a great mom Smile

11/01/2011 06:23 PM
hopeful80
hopeful80  

I have said some pretty mean things that I regreted afterwards. They sure do know how to push buttons and they push and push until the button gets stuck and we over load. he has said worst things to me in the heat of the moment. it happens, we are all human. you are most definalty NOT alone.

11/01/2011 08:46 PM
Beatifuldy

You are certainly not alone. The other night I told mine to get out of my life and ruin her own. WOW My heart was breaking the minute that came out and I broke down. I have to learn to stop that outrage back at her, and after 8 years you would think i have, but all other things going on I snapped. As said above, forgive yourself, and ask forgiveness. And lastly for every hurtful-word said it takes 6 positive words to make up.

11/02/2011 03:21 AM
lillipets
Group Leader

I have gotten pretty good at not saying mean things, but every once in a while I slip with a real zinger! Don't worry about it. Parents say stuff like this all the time and their kids are "normal!"

It's important to apologize so they see that you can admit when you are wrong.

11/02/2011 07:03 AM
behindthemask

Thanks I don't feel so alone - I did go to him and apologize and told him I loved him and please forgive me, I would always love him but when I get angry sometimes say things I don't mean... He said "that's ok". And we had an okay night. No major blow ups. Nice when you have those days Smile

I guess I have to stay on the high ground with our kids even when I want to go down there and smack him... Sad

11/02/2011 09:29 AM
cmm5sing
cmm5sing  

I think that when our kids hear us apologize it teaches them to do the same. My son has come to us many times after having an episode and saying things that hurt and has apologized to us for it. I know it hurts his heart after he has calmed down and he just feels so bad for the words that come out.

11/02/2011 09:37 AM
behindthemask

My son does too come to think of it. It may take a little while - but yes after he has calmed down. That sure helps doesn't it? I think they lack control too.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved