MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/06/2011 07:33 AM

So Peaceful

jenn123
jenn123  

My daughters been away at sleep away camp for almost 2 weeks, its been so peaceful at my house, even with my energitic 2year old...Even tho i worry everday that i will get a call to come get her (altho its a camp spacific to troubled kids) i have really enjoyed the time apart from her and all of the caos and drama. I pick her up on friday and my nerves are starting to get a little bit rattled, ive enjoyed the break but now she has nothing else planned for the rest of the summer which as most of us know, boredom can be a big trigger for our kids. Has anybody come up with any creative solutions to summer bordom???

07/06/2011 02:56 PM
gardengirl
gardengirl  

How old is your daughter, Jenn? I know you've told us before, but I can't remember off-hand...

I'm glad you have been able to find a way to get a break! It is probably a good change for the girls as well. *hugs*

07/06/2011 03:49 PM
jenn123
jenn123  

she is 12 going on 21 lol...she's a tween basically and yes it has been a wonderful break Tongue

07/06/2011 05:49 PM
cigarinface
cigarinface  

My daughter is 18, and this is still a constant struggle. My solution is to basically wear her out. LOL. I get her to help me plan hiking trips. Then, I take her hiking which also keeps me in shape. On the days that we hike, she is busy, and when we get home, she actually sleeps. I just wish I had the time, energy, and funds to keep her this busy all the time. I'm so glad you got a break. : )

07/08/2011 04:15 PM
owutatangledweb
owutatangledwebPosts: 2771

Glad you got a break Jenn! Just relax when she comes home and go with the flow? Can you take them swimming. THAT can really wear kids out!

07/08/2011 04:40 PM
jjsmom

I too am glad you had some time of peace it does the body good.Parenting magazine is great for summer ideas.

07/09/2011 10:13 AM
jenn123
jenn123  

yes thankfully our complex has a pool so we are in it everyday. we are teaching my 2 year old how to swim so she can help out with that since she is a great swimmer only prob is that she will grab him and try to make him do what she wants him to do and he is at a very independent stage and wants to do what he wants to do. it can become a power struggle between them but otherwise we have fun..usually. thanks i will also try the parenting mag, i dont have a car during the day and there is not much in walking distance so were pretty limited but ill keep checking.

07/09/2011 12:39 PM
jjsmom

I think the parenting mag will be very helpful considering your at home with the kids.I remember the mag. having all kinds of arts and crafts kids can do with simply things around the house.It also had some recipes you and the kids could cook together. It had games you could make up with household stuff.I found it very useful back when my kids were lots younger and I had to deal with those long summers.Good luck keeping them busy.Don't forget to take mom time.

07/09/2011 02:56 PM
gardengirl
gardengirl  

I had that magazine too! It was really really helpful in helping find things to do. We also used to do a lot of cooking and baking during the summertime. Is there a library within walking distance?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved