MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/27/2010 08:16 PM

I'm feeling her pain...this is so helpless

owutatangledweb
owutatangledwebPosts: 2771

My daughter is still struggling with depression and thoughts of hurting herself. Still has not returned to school and still unable to touch her schoolwork...all with graduation a month away. Tonight I could tell she is really hurting. Every two days I have to tell her I'll call the pdoc and he adjusts the meds and it doesn't get any better, or does for a day or so and then backslides again. I know eventually we'll get it right but she and I are feeling so frustrated because she doesn't have enough time with only a month left. She asked me tonight why this couldn't have happened a month from now when school was already out. College decision has to be made by Friday and she's worried about that too because she feels like she can't make a decision. Neither one of us wants her to go back in the hospital yet she says she felt good there. While she was there, the meds were right. That changed when she returned home. Again, that D--n depo shot messing with her hormones and meds!!! Angry I keep reminding her that that stuff has to work it's way out of her system and we'll have to keep adjusting the meds til then. Just doesn't help her when I say that because she doesn't have that kind of time. I've been reading up and asking questions about fast-acting meds. I don't know what to do for her anymore. Anyone else have any suggestions for fast-acting meds for this kind of depression???? Any help appreciated Smile

Post edited by: owutatangledweb, at: 04/27/2010 08:18 PM

Post edited by: owutatangledweb, at: 04/27/2010 08:19 PM

04/28/2010 04:42 AM
lillipets
Group Leader

I've been researching electroconvulsive therapy. That seems to be the one thing seems to have almost immediate results. But I certainly don't recommend that in your situation. And most dr's refuse to use on teens anyway. Believe me, I've asked more than once!

And after my daughter's behavior changed (for the better) right after her last seizure even her pdoc said maybe ECT is in her future!

What happens if you just pick the school you feel offers her the best deal (and is being close to home important considering her mental health issues?)

If she doesn't finish school by the end of the semester can she finish up what she needs over the summer and still be eligible for the school and scholarship of her choice?

It sounds like her school administrators and teachers are all behind her...any suggestions from them?

And if the the stress of all this is just exacerbating her symptoms just decide that school is not the major issue right now....her health is really all that matter. The rest will get done when it gets done.

04/28/2010 04:47 AM
lillipets
Group Leader

One more thing about ECT...I'm reading a book called "Shock"-it supposedly an unbiased look at ECT, it's history, pros, cons etc

It's actually kind of funny though because it is so unabashedly for ECT...it makes it sound like ECT will cure everything from serious depression to a hangnail! Just line everyone up...quick and easy...one zap and everyone is magically cured!

I'll keep reading it though, but only because now it is making me laugh!

04/28/2010 08:27 AM
gardengirl
gardengirl  

I was going to say something about an electric cattle prod, but thought better of it.

04/28/2010 02:05 PM
owutatangledweb

It is so strange that you brought this topic up. She asked me to call the doc today and I did. He asked me to sit down. He started talking about ECT for her. I had already done alot of reading about it in a prior moment of despair months ago. I had not heard of the book "Shock", but there is a website of this guy that really promotes it...it might be the guy that wrote "shock"...just can't remember. He calls himself "Electro Boy" and claims to be an ECT patient. Has T-shirts and everything!!! But, somehow the thought of ECT for an 18 year old who has only been diagnosed and having major problems for only two years seems ridiculous! ECT is usually a last resort. It can cause short OR long-term memory loss, loss of emotion (she's already capable of loss of empathy), loss of intellectual ability, loss of coordination, visual acuity, etc. etc. Not worth those kinds of risks with an 18 year old who wasn't functioning too bad before her meds got messed up by injected hormones and by making poor decisions concerning the boyfriend. (I did joke with her and the boyfriend that it wouldn't be bad if she lost her memory of him though because then she wouldn't feel abandoned by him when he wasn't with her every second of every day. It would be like "50 First Dates"!) As to school: We were at the school early this a.m. to speak with her guidance counselor again. The counselor did put our minds at ease concerning her graduation status and what she has to do. She has felt very pressured about actually GOING to school. He encouraged her to come to school on days she felt well and only go to the classes that she absolutely needs in order to graduate. He also implied that he may have some connections at one of the colleges that has a scholarship acceptance deadline for Friday and that he may be able to do something about that. So, the plan is that we will go to school Friday, meet with him again, she will go to class, and we will figure out what to do about Friday's deadline. The two colleges that we've narrowed it down to are both local. She applied locally because of her incessant need to be near the boyfriend. So, maybe we're on course. We'll see if she goes Friday. *fingers crossed* Pdoc also upped a med again to see if it helps in the meantime while we think about ECT...***thinking*** NOT! As always, thanks for your support ladies!!! Smile Hope you are all faring well!!! GG, I hope your parents are doing better too!!! <HUGS>

04/28/2010 05:23 PM
lillipets
Group Leader

One other thing to take some of the pressure off...since both schools are local does it really make that big of a difference which one she selects if she is offered scholarships to both of them?

Maybe go with the one that seems the most flexible about working around her special needs?

I'm glad things seem to be clearing up a bit..hopefully the major panic is over and the real work can go on.

As far as the author of Shock- he is a journalist. I know about Electroboy though. I started reading his book and couldn't get past the first few pages!

04/30/2010 01:59 PM
owutatangledweb

Thanks lillipets! Both schools are local but one is definately more prestigious and more expensive even with the funds that were offered. The quandry is where she will feel the most comfortable and the least stressed. THAT is what is most important to me. She just can't make a decision because she is still depressed. All she really seems to care about is moving out of the house again with her boyfriend. I just keep explaining to her that she's not well enough to do that at this time; and that starting college can bring on stress and that I want her to have some more time to develop the coping mechanisms and skills she needs so she can deal with stress. She is trying to use some techniques that I've been teaching her and they are helping her. She is using them on her own now....deep breathing, relaxing her feet, hands, muscles, walking around a bit, etc. She needs time for some of these things to become automatic to her. I finally found a private DBT therapist. I've been looking since last August. She was all for doing it and now I don't know. I was hoping she'd do it this summer so she'd be ready for what Fall has to bring...whatever that is. Sometimes I just don't know what to do for her anymore. I love her so much and don't like to see her in this pain. She didn't go to school today as planned due to something that occurred within the school community. The plan is that she go on Monday.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved