MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/02/2010 12:13 PM

Trileptal

Newmexnaomi

Does anyone have experience with this one? The Dr. wants to start my 9 y.o. son on it, looking for any feedback.

02/02/2010 12:45 PM
gardengirl
gardengirl  

You may want to go to the following link: http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?section=About_Medications

They've got a LOT of medications listed, with all kinds of information. My daughter has not tried Trileptal, but this site should hopefully answer some of your questions! It sure has for me...

02/02/2010 01:16 PM
Newmexnaomi

Thank you!

02/02/2010 03:24 PM
owutatangledweb
owutatangledwebPosts: 2771

My daughter took trileptal for awhile. It was used as a replacement for lithium. It is actually an antiseizure medication that is used off-label as a mood strabilizer in bipolars. It worked well for my daughter. She was switched only because of the cost.

02/02/2010 05:51 PM
lillipets
Group Leader

My daughter has been on this but it was while ago (years?). I can't remember why she stopped using it-it probably just wasn't working for her.

02/02/2010 06:12 PM
IHateThisIllness

Yes - we've tried this one. It was early on (shortly after her diagnosis almost 3 years ago)... and preceded a hospitalization. My daughter was trying to get off Abilify (sleepiness) - so we were working through a cross taper approach. We suspect she was cheeking all the meds - which is why she probably lost control and needed the police here and ambulance to the hospital.

None of her doctors have ever tried this one again. I guess I'm not a very good help here. Since it was so early into her journey - compliance with medication was such a huge part of the stuff we had to deal with. Compliance has gotten a lot better, thankfully. It's been a long road.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved