MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/01/2012 12:32 PM

Rehab help

nlzcas

I am new here. My 22 yr old son is an addict. He is also bipolar which has been a struggle the last 4 years. Bipolar is well controlled right now. Always smoked pot and fought that for years. recently found out that he's been doing heroin for a few months. Refused hospital, detox or rehab. Doctor started him on suboxone and is going to NA meetings 7 days a week. found out he is still smoking pot with the suboxone. No choice now - now he wants to go to rehab. The problem? It seems most of the decent places do not take insurance. There are only a few in my insurance network that look so so... and have absolutely no money to pay for the ones that do not take insurance. I am currently working with his therapist, etc to try and get him this help but in the meantime, can anyone out there share their rehab experiences as far as the insurance, and rating them, etc?

thanks Smile

03/01/2012 01:47 PM
pattB

Group Leader

Niszcas, Welcome to the group. I do not know where you live but you can PM me and I will tell you of a good one I know of. They usually do not put someone on Sub for a two month addiction to heroin are you certain his addiction has only been two months? I thought my daughter was only using a few months but she was honest with her therapist about her duration and usage. It is nice the therapist is helping you figure out some places. Any drug needs to be off limit to your son as often just dabbling can lead to his main DOC, he has to want treatment with all his heart. Is he living with you? You will find lots of support here, if in fact your son's addiction to H is fairly new, you are wise to nick it all in the bud as a short duration is much easier to reverse patterns in the brain.

Welcome! hugs, patti

03/01/2012 01:52 PM
nlzcas

yes patti it was only a few months. he was in a court program through the end of September where they drug tested him weekly. So even if he lied about the time he has been doing it, it couldnt have been too much different. He did go through a nasty few days of physical withdrawal. Maybe due to the bipolar meds he is on made it a little worse? I dont know. How do I PM you so you can give me that info? and thanks for the hug Smile

Nancy

03/01/2012 09:30 PM
Measha
Measha  
Group Leader

Welcome to the group, Nancy. Our insurance would not pay for detox, so we had to pay it. The intensive outpatient was partially covered. He was kicked out of that place for using. Now he goes to another treatment facility and we must pay out of pocket. It is so sad that insurance doesn't cover the cost of rehab or detox. It is defined as a disease so you would think it would be covered. Pam

03/02/2012 04:06 PM
quinntwo

Hi Nancy and Welcome. Our insurance also would not pay for detox or inpatient treatment, so we had to pay out of pocket. My insurance company told me detoxing from heroin does not require medical supervision and so it goes... I wish there was better news to give you on that account, but please lean on this group with your frustrations. You find amazing friendship and support. Hugs, Julie

03/02/2012 09:38 PM
mrsmadtux
mrsmadtux  

I am brand new to this group and already see so many people here with stories similar to my own. I think it will be really tough since your son is 22 y.o., but...call every church in your area, contact various chapters of NA, look in the yellow pages, call Methadone clinics, and volunteer organizations (even homeless shelters because they see a lot of addicts). Ask about sliding-fee-scale programs, indigent adult, and check out what is covered on your insurance. They may not be the best, and may only be outpatient programs, but having your child in some form of treatment is better than nothing. My son is 15, addicted to Xanax, Pot, Alcohol & Ecstasy. We have been on a waiting list for an adolescent inpatient program since the beginning of the year. We had to admit him to psychiatric hospital for 7 days in October of last year, get a referral for a paychiatrist, go on a waiting list for a therapist, get a referral from both of them that he needed more intense treatment, just to get on the waiting list for inpatient rehab. In the meantime, we've had to padlock every drop of alcohol, prescription med, and sharp objects, and I sleep in the family room with a phone alarm that goes off every 2 hours so I can check on him--because I'm afraid he'll accidentally kill himself. We are on Medi-CAL (California's Medicaid) and these are just the hoops I had to jump through to save my son. He enters 60 day intensive inpatient followed by 12 months outpatient treatment next Thursday. I don't know if it will be successful or not, but I will stop at nothing to save my son. Don't stop, don't give up. There is someone somewhere who can help, you just have to keep looking.

03/03/2012 10:57 AM
pattB

Group Leader

MrsMadtux.

Welcome your post brought back memories of sleeping by the door. Yep, sleeping by the door. Then she learned to crawl out a window. We have a graveyard of changed locks, every room in the house was lock when we left, it was not much fun trying to get to what should of been my own space, the only room not locked was the kitchen and once her addiction took hold I then made myself spoon-less, tin foil-less, pen less, I searched trash cans like I was a racoon.

I feel for what you are going throug and I am so glad you found this group the woman here have carried me on days i felt I could not get up in the morning. I know you will find and friendship here.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved