MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/17/2012 07:10 PM

Just wondering...

pattB

Group Leader

I am curious what the others feel about the death of Whitney Houston, besides it being awful and tragic, I am interested in hearing your feelings about it and if it has affected your week on a personal level. i believe for me it has had a big impact. Out of everything i heard this week ranging from blaming doctors or show business to ex relationships I think she herself spoke volumes in her own personal interviews. As much as I did not wish to hear about it, something so high profile could not be avoided. I paid tribute to her in my own way and feel as if it will make an impact on the awareness of drug addiction. She was a fabulous singer and a woman of God, and will surely be missed by her family and great fans.

02/17/2012 08:33 PM
islandcat
islandcat  

I honestly dont have an opinion. I dont like the fact that she most likely if not for sure died from an overdose. Sometimes I worry that superstars glamorize the whole thing, not purposely but via the media. So its not so much as losing a super star as the whole overdose that bothers me.

02/17/2012 08:59 PM
pattB

Group Leader

Hey put a never mind on this, it is a downer and sad topic tonight ( or anytime) the mood just got happy, I was just trying to introduce something,not the lightest of topics, somehow we moved quickly to happier thoughts, I could not find happy tonight on my own, Pam had to bring it, then Alex, then you. Rest in Peace. Seems violating as well on black and white, without seeing facial expressions so l will just send prayers to her family and the media can have their say. Not good for a recovering POA anyway.

02/18/2012 08:54 AM
Peace4Rach
Peace4Rach  
VIP Member

I think it really speaks to nature of addiction in that as much as one may want to change, it's not that easy. It's a battle for most and sadly seems that Whitney lost that battle hear on earth. But that does not make the person, she also gave so much and had a wonderful gift which she did use. I feel for her family, especially her daughter. Loosing a mom is a terrible thing, especially at such a young age. Glad at least she seems to have a supportive family to help her through it all.

02/18/2012 02:01 PM
pattB

Group Leader

I have been to church today Amen Rach.

What is more reaffirmed to me today, is addiction in any case is not the person, nor are the people who may exposed someone to the world of addiction less human and often times carry a burden of guilt which is not theirs entirely to own. Each addict as she said herself is their own enemy and so the blame or shame of finger pointing should stop. I feel compassion and a new found understanding that the black blob of addiction can attach to a body but is ultimately powerless and cannot make it into the gates of heaven. Love and ones spirit can not be touched even though the body and mind can be affected.

In ones life their goodness is measured by viewing the whole pie, not a piece of it, and even when the addict believes they are what they have done, zooming out and seeing the whole picture is often what is needed to have perspective.

Amen for Church today.

Post edited by: pattB, at: 02/18/2012 02:02 PM

02/19/2012 11:08 PM
loli

I think drugs do get glamorized in the show business, but on the other hand it does bring awareness of the devastation that they bring into peoples lives. We see famous stars talk about different diseases they've been struck with or their family members and try to raise awareness & promote research to find a cure. Why can some of these celebrities or their families that have been dealing with addicition speak openly and honestly about their struggles and the horrors of this disease...about how unflattering and unglamorous this lifestyle is..about how this habit is making an immoral pack of voltures get rich at the cost and expense of our kids, friends, families and destroying the core of our society. Obiously "just say no" didn't and hasn't worked out...we need to talk about this more and try to find a ways to prevent from destroying our families. Drug addiction is as important if not more than cancer, aids, autism, multiple sclerosis, world hunger, and many other ailments. As tabboo as this topic might be, it needs to be discussed more openly and celebrities should use their status to bring awarness and find ways to prevent this disease just as they bring other diseases into the public awareness. We need to stop this maddness, stop enriching the cartels and drug lords that are wrecking our society.

02/19/2012 11:26 PM
pattB

Group Leader

Good post loli

02/20/2012 11:05 AM
islandcat
islandcat  

Well I guess it comes down to more law enforcement, not allowing it into the country, more busts. I dont know, I too have given it a lot of thought, where do you begin? Sounds like I am joking but I have said before treat addicts like lepers and throw them all on an island to get well and not a tropical one, that one is for us Moms.

02/20/2012 11:45 AM
pattB

Group Leader

They might kill each other. That would be a sight some ass kicking and raging I don't know if one would be left standing.

02/20/2012 11:46 PM
loli

Where do you begin? you are so right Islandcat...its such a complex problem and way too many players...it involves goverments, politicians, the greed of a few using the despair of the socialy and economicaly disadvantaged to produce these drugs, the drug companies and doctors that prescribe these controlled substances,(or uncotrolled,I shall say),like they were 'candy". These drugs get into our society and fill a void, stop the pain, or give a false feeling of fitting in...then there is the desintegration of families & lack of empathy & compassion towards one another. There are way too many thing to takle...but we have to keep fighting this. I read that there is a heroin vaccine being researched in rats...might be just a few years before they start human trials! If indeed this works it would be a great breakthrough in the addiction treatment and more research would follow for other substances vaccines. Lets pray this works...In the mean time I dont mind the tropical islands for us mom's..I don't know about the leper island for the addicts, they might end up killing each other like PattB says!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved