MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/16/2013 01:59 PM

Info on meth, did not know an addict can drink it.

pattB

Group Leader

There are different ways of recognizing if he is using methamphetamine, however, catching him in the act is the only for sure way you would know if he is using. Most people who do meth, depending on how much is used, stay up for a day to days. If he is using though, the number one way to tell from experience is if his pupils are dilated all the time. In other words, he could have dilated pupils one day, but it's right after a trip to the eye doctor, but if he constantly has large pupils, it's a sign of certain substance use/abuse with methamphetamine being one of the list toppers. Also, most people who use meth do not eat really, however, some of them especially long time users can make themselves eat. Even those that make themselves eat when high on meth will not eat a lot. If he is snorting meth, then he will be making trips to the bathroom to "flush" or "rinse" his nose (if he is doing it right). Basically it's when someone puts water into the nose so they can get the excess methamphetamine that did not go down. Also, if he is snorting meth, he will be sniffing a lot. Again, this isn't a one or two day thing, it's whenever he is sniffing constantly for hours but every day and he is not sick or having sinus problems.

A way to tell if someone is smoking meth is if they get "tweakers cough" which is slang for an odd and somewhat painful sore throat that just "never seems to go away", and the people I partied with would get that chloroseptic (sp) throat spray. Also, if he is smoking meth, while this will sound like a joke to some, you will notice that light bulbs (certain ones) go missing frequently, or if he is buying a LOT of glass car fresheners, or even if he is "playing" with a torch in "his room" or when you are not home. Another way to tell if someone is smoking meth is somtimes they have these odd burns on their hand, wrist, arm, and or leg that is the size of a quarter approx.. Last thing, if he is smoking it, it's possible that a LOT of foil just disappears all the time or he is constantly buying aluminum foil.

If he is taking meth in liquid, chances are unless he wants you to get high too, he will not let you drink from his beer can (really popular) or solo cup or basically anything that is "his" drink. Some people put the meth in their drink. Another route but usually not used all the time is to put a piece or some powder in a small bit of toilet paper, napkin, or paper towel, this is called a "scooby snack" as slang for swallowing the meth without getting the taste.

Meth as a rule is a whitish color, however, because of different chemicals used to "cut" it (cut is slang for adding chemicals to make more of the methamphetamine which means more money when sold) can be different colors. White and pink are the two main colors of meth, but I have seen all kinds. Chrystal meth or "ice" looks kind of like crystal clear salt shards/rocks/pieces. Shards can be all sizes, but it's always clear if it's "ice". Unless it's modified, although possible, no one will smoke meth out of a marijuana pipe, to much product wasted and to much of a chance to inhale some of the hot meth puddle into your mouth. You can put meth on top of marijuana in a marijuana pipe, but again, this is extremely wasteful so unless you got a HUGE HUGE supply, it's not really something anyone doing meth would do. As far as smell goes, there is a light chemical like smell when meth is being smoked, but it's not that strong and to someone who has never done it, unless they are smoking meth right by you, chances are it won't be noticed. I mean a person has to smoke A LOT or again do it right next to you, and you have to notice the smell already in order to catch someone smoking meth from smell.

This is ONLY opinion from years of past use and being around MANY people who used and still use, no, it's not possible to lead a mostly normal life for that long. Some people do it for years, but sooner or later, it causes many problems. This is not fact, only opinion.

If I was him, the best way to approach me about it is wait until I am very happy and then just kind of hint that you think I am up to something, but that you really need honesty and that you love me so there is no reason to keep secrets. That's just me though.

09/16/2013 02:31 PM
ElizabethL
ElizabethL  
Group Leader

Patti, thanks for all the info.

I had NO idea my son was still using, until one night lasts year right before I left to go home. I looked over at him and he had both hands up to his nose, although he wasn't snorting anything...just a weird gesture because he was high. I now think he was snorting something like oxys or some kind of pain pill.

So just to tell the difference between meth and opiates, the main thing is probably how much energy they have as Patti said. Meth is an upper, opiates are downers. Opiate users (I think) are very, very skinny..or my son was...scary skinny because they can't eat? I don't know why. But...opiate users can be actively using and have no outward signs at all - my son always made perfect sense and appeared to care about other people, but was probably acting...he never slurred his words at all. Back years ago when he must have been shooting heroin (which he did last year too), he had horrible skin...looked like scabs. I thought he just had bad skin. Now I know what is was.

Meth makes people kind of crazy..paranoid and jittery. I had no idea there were so many ways to use the stuff..unbelievable.

09/16/2013 07:52 PM
Measha
Measha  
Group Leader

I didn't either until I met everyone here in November, 2011, I never knew a person could smoke pain pills. Here I thought my son was swallowing pain pills and smoking marijuana. But I always found foil, pop cans with holes punched in them, pen casings, highliter casings. When I mentioned my findings to this group, I was told he may be smoking oxy or heroin. And I played detective some more and come to find out, my son was smoking oxy with marijuana and K2. I would find him passed out in his room with a pop can, foil, lighter. The shade to the light would often be off and laying on the floor and even in the winter a window would be open. I found pen casings, thumb tacks(to poke holes in the pop cans), and highliter casings all over the place, some hidden above the wooden blinds. I found burn holes in the sheets, blanket, comforter, mattress pad and mattress. I found dryer sheets stuck in the shower drain and all over his room. I found a slice cut in a mattress where he hid drugs. He slept a lot and when he wasn't sleeping and I confronted him he would punch holes in the walls, doors, mirrors, call me a f..ing crazy bi...Then he would go to his room and punch his own face..be black and blue for weeks. It was crazy. I stopped buying foil, threw out all the thumbtacks and nails, pens etc. I stopped buying canned pop. Then he'd use toilet paper holders. Very creative for someone who was so messed up. I also became a great detective. It was hell on earth. My oldest son snorted Adderall when he gave up his cocaine addiction. I never knew people snorted ADHD meds. He snorts oxy too. Crazy stuff!

09/16/2013 07:53 PM
Measha
Measha  
Group Leader

What about ecstasy? Is it a pill, powder, liquid? And how does one take it? My oldest is also addicted to ecstasy.

09/16/2013 08:39 PM
pattB

Group Leader

Ecstasy....Pill, could be crushed to a powder, add water could be a liquid.. The hug drug is usually taken as a pill. ... they are suppose to really love everyone while on it, sort of like H in the sense that it floods the pleasure receptors with a sense of well being.. it messes with them so bad that when an addict goes off them MAJOR depression, can't feel happy for a long time, H does that too.

Pam it is GOOD to here you post about your sons addiction, a wise man once said...." The way out is the way through" It is so for us, we must walk thought the pain of their addiction to find the door to get out and back to ourselves. The way out is the way through. ....

so might as well deal little by little with haw f'en sad it is.. Love you my sweet sweet friend..

09/17/2013 07:49 PM
Measha
Measha  
Group Leader

Thanks, Patti. Just when I was finding my way back..BOOM. When is God going to realize I am overburdened with crises and sadness. Pity Party tonight and tomorrow all will feel better.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved