MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/14/2008 06:28 AM

I Have Bi Polar and ADD help with my little

julzmommy
julzmommy  

my little girl will be two in July and its getting difficult to be around as she has her little temper tantrums its hard for me to stay calm. does anyone else have these illnesses, would like to chat

06/11/2008 11:59 AM
GeminiMom
GeminiMom  

I'm bipolar 2 and worrying about how to be a good mother to my almost-3-year-old is actually what led me to MD Junction a few months ago! I've been posting on the BP2 boards and just found this one today. Anyway, I have a terrible time sometimes trying to keep my cool when she loses hers, especially because my husband's job has him away sometimes and when I've had her all on my own for long periods of time, I really feel like I am going to go insane. I've tried various means of coping, from putting her in her high chair (so that I know she's safe) for a timeout and walking out of the room for about 10 minutes until I cool down to sometimes even taking a klonopin to mellow me out. Because otherwise, yeah, there are times when I feel like I'm ready to put a "Free to good home" sign on her and sit her next to the mailbox. Smile

Sherry

06/11/2008 11:16 PM
julzmommy
julzmommy  

well im glad im not the only one. our situations seem very simialar. my bf/fiance also goes away alot and he comes home late, so its really getting hard to cope. lately all i wanna do is climb into bed and sleep or just be away from the noise. there are no support groups here so it makes it even harder, and the fact that im basicly the only one i know my age to have a child, there is another set back. Sigh... what to do. just hope it get better and she learns to entertain herself. but thats not fair. i feel guilty for getting cross.

oh well id love to stay in touch.

PM me if you would like to chat

02/07/2009 10:48 AM
TryingNot2BeScared

I know this is an old post, but how are you guys doing?? I am have been searching for a forum for bipolae/ADD moms!!

I can relate, I am new to BP but I too knew it was time for me to seek help after suffering my whole life. My mother has issues, and she yelled and hit us kids ALL THE TIME> I swore my whole like I would never do that to my child, however let me tell you I have come so close its scary.

I DO YELL, and I hate that I do that. I have not layed a finger on my son (he's 20 months now) but I really have to stop and and walk away. Its scary. I can't take it sometimes, I really can't. Other days I am playing with him all day like he is my "buddy". I am just starting Zoloft while I await seeing the PDOC, so wish me luck!

Good Luck to you ladies!!

02/07/2009 07:47 PM
GeminiMom
GeminiMom  

I don't have ADD but have BP and it really can be hard sometimes to mask it from our little ones. As long as you can walk away, you are doing the best you can. Our children can test us like no others can (well, maybe other than their fathers!) and it's up to us to remember that they can't help it. If there's any way you can get into another room while he is safe (in a crib, a high chair, a bouncer, whatever) and regain your equilibrium, that helps a little. Or get someone to watch him while you go shopping or just take a walk. TRUST me, I KNOW how hard it can be. Getting away is NOT a bad thing, it's good for you both. And it shows that you're smart AND a loving mother that you recognize it. Trust me, we ALL come close. We really do. It's just being able to avoid taking that last step that makes the difference. I'm praying that you will find the right medicines to help you--you're on the right path. And talking/reading here will help. You're not alone!!! I promise.

Sherry

02/07/2009 07:50 PM
GeminiMom
GeminiMom  

BTW, I wanted to add that yes, I do yell sometimes, still (and she's 3 1/2), and while I try not to, there are times when you just can't help it. Right now, your little one is too young too remember; when they get older (like mine), just make sure that you apologize and make sure that they know that it's not their fault. That's all you can do, other than trying not to next time.

02/10/2009 03:26 AM
julzmommy
julzmommy  

thank you for all the support i actuallty forgot about this site

01/20/2010 09:48 PM
mrsfields666
mrsfields666  

!

Post edited by: mrsfields666, at: 01/20/2010 10:13 PM

01/20/2010 10:11 PM
mrsfields666
mrsfields666  

Post edited by: mrsfields666, at: 01/20/2010 10:12 PM

02/12/2010 09:12 AM
lovespeonies
lovespeonies  
VIP Member

I have Bipolar 1 and it isn't easy but if you are properly medicated it can be okay. I am actually very mellow these day but looking back in the past with my older two, I really struggled. It's best to work on yourself as you parent. I know it is hard not to neglect yourself when you have young children, but we have to be well for our children.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved