MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/29/2012 11:24 AM

(Almost) 2 yr old: misbehaving

MadMaze

What do you do if your son hits you, other people, and animals? I've tried spanking, saying no, and just plain getting on to him. Nothing is working. He won't sit still for a time-out, and the word "no" means nothing to him when we say it! He will not listen to me or his dad..

He is also getting worse and worse when we go to the store. Wanting out of the buggy and screaming at the top of his lungs because he wants EVERYTHING, and we are not made of money!

BTW, I don't consider spanking abuse. I know some people do, but I was raised that way and it does help (sometimes). I don't spank hard, just enough to get my point across..

I would appreciate some advice if anyone has some to share!!

04/24/2012 06:13 AM
Crazydazy
Crazydazy  

We are struggling with this with our 16mo old. She doesn't talk much and resorts to pulling hair, scratching and hitting in the face, and screaming bloody murder if she doesn't get what she wants. I think initially we made it worse by laughing when she did it when she was a few months younger. I do smack her hand, lightly, but that doesn't seem to be much of a deterent and just makes her madder. She will sit for a time-out but I am not sure she gets the concept. I do not believe in spanking as a regular form of discipline - I will spank if they run into the street, etc. I know people say not to use the crib as a place for a time-out but I am thinking of trying it anyway as she hates to be in the crib. I don't know about your son but for my daughter she is all about getting attention. I am going to try putting her in the crib for a minute everytime she hits and not giving her the attention she is trying to get. Hopefully not giving her any attention will deter her from the bad behavior after awhile. I will post back if I get any reuslts. It feels like there are not many options for discipline at this age because they are so small.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved