MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/19/2009 01:43 PM

diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism

Skibby
SkibbyPosts: 6

Hi! I'm 35 and after almost a year of tests I was finally officially diagnosed with primary hpt. My adenoma was not found on a Sestamibi scan, so my Endo.scheduled an appointment for me to see a suregon next week. I will more than likely have exploratory surgery in a couple of weeks. I don't know what it feels like to feel normal anymore. I'm ready to get this over with!!!!!

05/20/2009 05:02 AM
txmedicalfreak
txmedicalfreak  

Skibby ~

Hi and welcome to the group Smile Glad that you finally got a diagnosis. I am not sure what you mean by "adenoma". I am not very familiar with hyperparathyroidism since I am "hypo" I will be looking forward to hearing more from you.

Hugs ~ Mandy

05/27/2009 04:46 PM
rosielamb

Hi - I had my surgery last year and they removed one parathroid which was quite large. Mine didn t show up one the scan either so my surgeon did the surgery anyway and found it quite easily - they are supposed to be pinhead size apparently. After the surgery I felt

better immediately and the bone pain went after a few months completely. It really is like a miracle cure - good good luck with your surgery and let me know how you get on ok. Rosie

05/28/2009 05:36 AM
txmedicalfreak
txmedicalfreak  

rosielamb ~

Do they know what caused the one to be so large? I am only familiar with the hypo side.

Mandy

05/28/2009 05:45 AM
Skibby

I'm not sure they know why some are bigger than others. I met with my suregon yesterday and will have surgery Monday morning. I have to stay in the hospital at least 1 night and will have about a 2 inch incesion. I'm very scared. I'm ready to feel better though!

05/28/2009 05:48 AM
Skibby

Thanks! I'm having surgery June 1. I'm very nervous. What was your surgery like?

05/28/2009 07:02 AM
txmedicalfreak
txmedicalfreak  

Skibby ~

My thyroid surgery did not take all that long and I was discharged to go home that day. It really was not as bad as I thought it would be aside from my major bleeding and bruising, it was the most painful part and required me to see the surgeon several times that first week so that he could drain the excess blood. I am anemic and a bleeder so that is what caused all of the bleeding and bruising. But, after that was under control the pain was not bad at all. The thing that drove me nuts was numbness from my chin to my collar bone. The numbness took several months to go away. It was not painful but, it was a very strange feeling.

Best of luck with your surgery and keep us posted on your recovery.

Hugs ~ Mandy

05/28/2009 10:00 AM
rosielamb

They don t really know what causes it. The worst and hardest thing is getting a diagnosis - once that is done and surgery is scheduled you are almost home & dry.I had to pay privately for the op but believe me it was money well spent!

Jan

05/28/2009 01:59 PM
txmedicalfreak
txmedicalfreak  

Jan ~

You would think that a PTH or calcium test would at least point to it? Sorry that you had to pay out of pocket, ouch!

Mandy

05/28/2009 05:05 PM
rosielamb

Mandy - Oh the calcium test did show it but doctors wanted to 'wait & see' - that is crazy - there is no other cure only surgery. luckily I researched and found my good guy surgeon on the web and he fitted me in immediately. If I had waited I would be in the mental unit by now - really I m not kidding!!! It worries me there are others that have had no treatment or even don't know what is wrong with them - a lot of people are put on meds for mental health trouble when all along the op would cure them.

Jan

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved