MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/30/2011 08:42 PM

Mother with Paranoid Personality disorder

ladybug241

I am 19 years old, and in my first year of college, living with my father and my mother, who has paranoid personality disorder.

Recently I started having a hard time dealing with it because she's making me a target. My father works evenings and she is gone when he is home, so when I get home from school late she has to make me her target.

It started about five years ago, when she started having issues with her family, and got worse once my brother got married. She hates her daughter in law for no reason, or so she told her because she took her son away from her.

She accuses my dad of infidelity, even though I have never met a more patient and respectful man in my life. She doesn't really have any friends, except for a few because she accused them of talking bad about her. If I get angry at her, or have an outburst because she's talking to loud on the phone when I'm trying to study, she acts like im the worst daughter in the world. She calls me names, even the ext day before I even say anything, she continues the conversation by yelling at me..

I try no to talk to her, I don't even say hi to her, sometimes I'm afraid to walk into the house, because I don't know what to expect.

She exadurates everything and remembers and doesn't forgive things that have happened 10 years ago.

There are days when she is fine, but I never trust her and I'm always at a distance because she hurts me in the end anyway.

I have a boyfriend that I want to get married to in the future, he's frightened by what is going on. Eventhough I am living at home now, I will be living on campus next semester, but that is not enough. I want to move out. I feel depressed here, I'm starting to have suicidal thoughts because it's just so cold at home, I feel like I have no heart here.

I just don't know what to do anymore.

12/01/2011 06:06 AM
Ele

Can you move into the dorm any sooner or stay with a friend until you go to the dorm? Or

maybe you have a relative you could stay with. If not, try going for a walk or a drive when she starts or go to your room and lock the door. You could also go to your school counselor and see if they have any suggestions.

Welcome by the way.

12/01/2011 10:01 AM
ladybug241

unfortunately moving into a dorm sooner is not possible, and i will have to come home for breaks and for summer, which isnt exciting. The only thing that i feel will free me from this misery is moving in with my boyfriend, but i don't want to put burdens upon him and hes incapable of doing that right now anyway.

12/02/2011 07:56 AM
Ele

I have a difficult ex husband. What my counselor told me to do when he started on one of his frequent verbally abusive tirades was to go to the bathroom and lock the door or leave the house. You could walk around the block even. After I moved out and he called me screaming I simply told him he couldn't talk to me that way and hung up the phone.

If the abuse is intolerable or you feel you are physical danger you might want to move to a domestic violence shelter.

Hugs, I am sorry about your situation.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved