Ask a Question
06/02/2010 09:07 PM

XANAX 101

jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

What You Need to Know About Xanax by Stephen Price

A review of the literature in Germany showed Xanax to be the most effective benzodiazepine (or anti-anxiety agent) for panic disorder with agoraphobia (Bandelow, 1999). In other words, there were more controlled studies on the treatment of agoraphobia with positive results for Xanax published than other anti-anxiety agents.

Because it has been proven effective for panic and agoraphobia in studies since it was approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration in 1981.

First of all, what is Xanax?

Xanax (Alprazolam) is a benzodiazepine, or anti-anxiety agent, prescribed mainly for temporary relief of mild to moderate anxiety, nervousness, or tension associated with anxiety disorders lie agoraphobia. It has also been used effectively for panic attacks. In some cases, it has been used to treat stress-related illnesses such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

Xanax comes in two forms - Xanax and Xanax XR. What's the difference? Xanax XR is just the extended release version of the original Xanax which, if you are taking Xanax daily, lets you just take one dose per day rather than three or four.

What's the best way to use Xanax for panic disorder with agoraphobia?

Since Xanax, like most anti-anxiety agents, cause the body to develop tolerance and can be addictive, the best way to use it for panic disorder with agoraphobia is to keep it in your pocket. Take it only as needed to get through rough spots, times of unusually high anxiety, or when you are practicing desensitization or exposure therapy.

It's important to remember that no pill will cure agoraphobia. Not even Xanax. Pills only work as long as you are taking them. That's why Xanax is best used as part of a larger recovery plan for agoraphobia that includes a long-term solution like psychotherapy.

So how fast does Xanax work?

Xanax offers pretty quick relief for most anxiety patients. In healthy adults, it may take an hour or two to take effect.

Is there anything you shouldn't eat or drink when taking Xanax?

Yes. Tell your doctor about any other medications you are taking so he or she can make sure you won't experience a bad interaction. Also, you shouldn't mix alcohol with Xanax or any other benzodiazepine because it amplifies the effects.

Can you take Xanax if you are pregnant or nursing?

It's not recommended. You should definitely not take Xanax in the first twelve weeks of pregnancy under any circumstances.

How will Xanax effect your daily routine?

It may make you really drowsy, so don't be driving or operating dangerous machinery on Xanax until you test it out and see how it effects you.

If you feel Xanax stops working, should you just take more?

Never. under no circumstances should you increase your dose without talking to your doctor, even if you think it's not working and you need more. This is because even when used as recommended, Xanax can cause emotional and/or physical dependence. In other words, you can get extremely addicted to it.

Can you just stop taking Xanax if it's not working?

No again. It is not safe to just stop taking Xanax cold turkey. Do not even decrease your dose without talking to your doctor. If you stop taking Xanax or decrease your dose too abruptly you are likely to experience serious withdrawal symptoms. Many of the withdrawal symptoms are similar to the panic and anxiety you probably started taking Xanax for in the first place. In the worst case, you can have a seizure if you try to stop taking Xanax too suddenly.

What about side effects?

If you are going to have side effects from Xanax, you will probably have them right when you start taking it. In many cases, initial side effects subside if you keep taking it. Most common side effects are drowsiness, fatigue, impaired coordination, irritability, light-headedness, memory impairment, insomnia, and headache.

Hopefully after reading this, you can use Xanax to help you and not hurt you if you have panic disorder with agoraphobia.

06/03/2010 04:13 AM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Ok, that's how I'm takig them now so that helps. TyWink

06/03/2010 05:26 AM
leandrat

Very nicely written, thats what I take am on my what is this now fourth week of my tapper down we had to stop last week at two .75 and one .50 and do that for another week. I hit some rough spots and told the Dr. I wanted one more week at that dose and he was fine with that so Monday will start my .50 twice a day and .75 once a day. Doing well so far, you know between on the edge of a divorce from my bestfriend, trying to fight a custody battle,being the support group leader in my home town for panic support group I founded and going to college AND tapering off my meds I think I am doing pretty good, one panic attack two times of high anxiety and one total break down (last night lol) but you know in a month with everything else going on and not even being able to leave my house three months ago I have to say Hey Im doing ok lol

Lee--

06/03/2010 06:46 AM
jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Lee, you seem like a completely different person to me from when I remember you on here when I fist joined in late March. You seem to be doing very well. Just how you interact with the group is so different and it is sooooo good. I love having you around here and am so proud of how far you've come!

06/04/2010 04:52 AM
leandrat

awww thanks I started reading and was like oh no what did i do wrong lol shows how I sometimes always think the worst and THANK YOU thats so kind made me smile I feel better talking to you guys and also have been doing ALOT of reading and learing alot I picked up a pych. course at school so I could learn more about how the body,mind,brain everything works...I enjoy it here and will try to help where ever I can and thank you for all your help too jojo sometimes I go back in post and just reread somethings you have said to just remind myself just what panic feels like and that I am not alone..

06/04/2010 08:53 AM
cindersoot1234
cindersoot1234  

Lee, I also think you have come along way in a short amount of time. Glad your here hun. Big Hugs

06/04/2010 09:13 AM
Fidgetgirl

Post edited by: Fidgetgirl, at: 06/19/2010 06:12 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved