MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/09/2009 11:57 AM

Hi everyone

Sposito
Sposito  

Hello there, my name is Gabriel and I've been suffering panic attacks for the last year and a half, i really would like to talk to people who have experienced them because when you talk to people that haven't there's just no way to make them understand how awful it feels. I got them because i had to take care of my dad who got dementia, now he's in a nursing home and my anxiety has decreased a lot but i still get them sometimes. I'm on treatment with a neurologist and i take an antidepressant on the mornings and another one at 9pm, it helps me a lot but still sometime they just happen, i alredy cut on caffeine and do cardio everyday. When they happen which is usually between 3am and 4am i put half a mg of alprazolam (Tafil) under my tongue and it really helps me. Thanks to anyone who's reading this.

11/09/2009 12:31 PM
ray2135

hi Sposito

You sure are in the right place.

This support group is ripe with panic and anxiety.

This is panic city.

You antidepressant and xanax (another name for Tafil) are right on the nail. That is the gold medicine approach.

Your workouts (cardio) are good .

You might want to look over the breathing exercises and calming exercises in the > forums > medicine and treatments section . They were assembled by the members here. There is even a free downloadable calming audio.

Welcome to the group.

Sure hope you will be feeling better real soon.

Discussing problem and such in a support group is a big help for panic attacks.

You are no longer alone.

Raoul

11/09/2009 07:12 PM
Sposito
Sposito  

Thanks for the support Raoul, i really appreciate it. The worse thing that i feel when they happen is that i know that I'm breathing but it is like i don't get any oxygen and that's when i loose it. First four or five times i had panic attacks were during a week when my dad was at the hospital because he had a stroke and as you can imagine since i didn't know what was happening i thought i was getting a heart attack, a nervous breakdown or just going crazy, i talked to three doctors that i knew that week and they all failed to give me the right diagnose, and i kept having them, i didn't want to go to an ER because my mom and dad were in the hospital and i didn't want to add more to what they were going through already, so because i didn't even know what a panic attack was, the fear of dying created some sort of loop and they lasted for up to three hours. Then visiting my dad during that week i met a neurologist who diagnosed them and that very day he told me to have a REMERON (MIRTAZAPINE) and it put them under control for some time until my dad got dementia and i had to take care of him, then they came back, my neurologist tells me that it is normal for people who takes care of family with mental illness to develop panic attacks or to have them again. Thanks again Raoul!

11/09/2009 07:19 PM
ray2135

Hey Sposito

You are a cool guy to be able to handle the panic attacks so well. <ost people would have gone to the ER right off the bat. And it is quite normal for a person newly having panic attacks to go to the ER a number of times before they accept that they are having panic attacks and that they are not going to die or such.

I average about one visit to the ER every couple months anyway - so I can just add them to the mix when I go in.

Look over the breathing and calmin stuff - it is the best recipee to knocking out the panic attacks .

Big man hug, Raoul

11/09/2009 10:32 PM
jrose72
jrose72  

Hi Gabriel,

Welcome to the panic forum, I'm so glad you've found us! We have all experienced and learned that those that have never experienced panic attacks just don't get them!

The meds and exercises are a great way of getting a better handle on your panic attacks and anxiety, but they won't cure them. Once we've had a panic attack, the odds just are that we will have another one. There have been many excellent posts on here with great techniques that have worked for others. I hope you find some suggestions that will help you also.

Please keep posting questions and comments and feel free to send members PM (private messages) if you want more direct contact.

So happy you are here with us!

Jen

11/10/2009 06:55 PM
Sposito
Sposito  

Thanks a lot Jen!I'm feeling better already. My first panic attacks came after a very awful day taking my dad to the ER because he had a two strokes in one day, and i had been depressed for a while, but having that much anxiety in one day gave my first panic attacks, that week i had some others until i got diagnose, when i started taking REMERON (MIRTAZAPINE) they dissapeared and i thought i was cured but then my dad got dementia and they came back so i had to take more REMERON and CITALOPRAM on the mornings, now that he's in a nursing home and he likes the place, I'm feeling way better, so are you saying that I'm never gonna be cured? My Doc (neurologist) tells me that the root of the problem is more emotional that physiological so i have to work a lot on beating depression rather than just relying on the meds, I've always been depressive but now i feel that is having a real consequence on my health.

Thanks again Jen!

11/10/2009 07:05 PM
Sposito
Sposito  

Thanks Raoul!

Well it really helped when i got a diagnose and i looked them up on the internet and i found out that i wasn't going to die, just to know that helps me when they come, but i loose it when even having that in mind i still have the feeling of imminent death, then i get scared and once you get scared it really strikes.

Besides doing cardio in the gym i also lift some weight, i feel it helps but my doc keeps telling me that the root of the whole thing is emotional rather than physiological, so i have to work on my depression, basically i have no self esteem.

Thanks!!!!

11/10/2009 07:10 PM
ray2135

Hey Sposito

Many people have told me that panic attacks can return anytime after they have originally occured. And that may be true or it may not always be true.

Either way, although the meds will help you to get control of yourself, they will not stop panic attacks. From what I have seen and heard - recognizing panic attacks as such and repeatedly telling your self that it is just a panic attack, coupled with the breathing exercises and the calming exercises is the way to over come them.

In order to use the exercises - you need to practice them when you are not having an attack. They will give you the tools you need to overcome the problem.

You need to recognize that your body has developed a habit of allowing itself to go into "fight or flight mode" IE - panic attack, and it will continue to do that until you teach yourself how to tame that beast. But you can do it. Removing your initial trigger may not be enough to stop the beast. And medicines may not be enough to tame that beast.

Raoul

11/10/2009 07:17 PM
ray2135

Hey Sposito

You can beat this. If you need help with self esteem - there is a self esteem support group on mdJunction. They can help you. If you have a depression problem, there is a depression support group on mdjunction. They will help you.

When you get stuck with anything- you come badk here to panic attacks support and we will help you.

You are not alone. Everyone in this group is fighting the same deamon that you are fighting. And everyone on this group and the other groups will work with you and help you.

That gives you the tools you need to fight this.

Read the threads on this support group and join the others.

Big man hug, Raoul

11/10/2009 07:21 PM
jrose72
jrose72  

Oh Sposito,

I don't want to say you will never be "cured". But, from everything that I've read and studied and been told my therapist, sadly, I really do not believe that we will ever be "cured". That does not mean that we can't ever live a normal life. It does not mean that it's not possible that someone that has experienced panic attacks to be able to go the rest of their lives without another panic attack. It simply means that once someone has had some kind of traumatic emotional/mental experiences, they will be more prone to that tendancy in the future.

However, accepting that has actually helped me a lot. I kept banging my head against the proverbial wall every time I'd have another panic attack after having long remissions. It has actually been a while since I've had a doozy panic attack. By accepting that it's likely to happen again has encouraged me to learn better coping techniques and allowed me to go longer and longer without having them.

I personally don't believe in "cures" for panic and depression, it kept setting me up to feel like a failure when I'd experience it again. I believe in living a healthier, wiser life that makes living with tendancies of depression and panic easier.

don't be scared tho, cuz it really does get easier!

Jen

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved