MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/20/2008 05:04 AM

Conquered fears

HelenR

Hello,

I wanted to drop in and introduce myself.

My name is Helen, I'm married with two kids and I homeschool.

I used to suffer from panic attacks/agoraphobia for 17 years. I thought my life was over! Talk about depression!

Through the Texas University's free cognitive therapy research team, and my own personal journey, I was able to find recovery!

It's been 5 years since I've had a panic attack. When I log on these forums, I'm reminded the anguish, the depression, hopelessness and fears that I had once experienced. My heart breaks all over again.

I will log on occasionally to answer questions or to lend support. I'm also a Christian and firmly believe that having a solid foundation is very helpful. Whatever your faith may be, we all share something in common. I've started blogging my personal journey (if I posted it on here, it would be book form!) and I'm also writing a novel about a woman who's agoraphobic and conquers her fears (romance/comedy)...

God bless!

Post edited by: HelenR, at: 05/20/2008 07:05

05/20/2008 07:31 AM
mommyofsixFriend2U
mommyofsixFriend2U  
I'm an Advocate

Smile That's wonderful that you have found recovery from anxiety and panic attacks. It is great that you're doing something positive with your experience and helping others. I wish you the best of luck with your book!!

Thanks for sharing your success story with us. Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Your friend,Chris Smile

05/20/2008 07:41 AM
HelenR

Thank you for the warm welcome!

When I first started having panic attacks, there was virtually no information about it on the web. It was really a long journey of self discovery and determination to get better.

Today, there is so much help out there and the support group is wonderful. I firmly believe that anyone can conquer their anxiety. There is no tricks or magic wands. It's all about education and learning about our bodies. The bible says we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Once we realize that our panic is our "friend" (our body is equipped to handle fear a certain way) we can handle those confusing symptoms/reactions that we are going through and not fear them...

There is so much to say. This is why I'm logging my entire journey/recovery on blogger. We are all different and my experiences are my experiences, but we all do have something in common.

Hugs to all!

Helen

05/20/2008 07:42 AM
mamanordy

Welcome Helen! Your story is so heartwarming and very encouraging! Glad to have you here as a member!

05/20/2008 09:51 AM
lostgurl
lostgurl  

wow five years! that is awesome.would be great to hear more from you about how you were able to overcome the disorder.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved