MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/08/2009 07:56 PM

Hi all. New here

karasbusy

Hi. I am so glad I found this group. I had my first panic attack today and it was the single most terrifying experience of my life. I was sitting on the couch watching t.v. and drinking my coffee like I do every morning, and all of a sudden my heart was beating sooo fast. That kinda freaked me out and then I felt like I couldn't breathe. I called my sister and she said she would come over. I thought I was going to die. I walked across the street to my neighbors so I could have somebody to sit with and got so dizzy and fell in the street. My sister got here and ended up calling 911. They said it was a panic attack. I am so scared of having another one. I don't even know why I had one, I wasn't scared or anything. The whole thing ended up lasting about 40 min.

09/08/2009 09:47 PM
Endziel
Endziel  

Welcome to the group karasbusy! I'm sorry to hear that you had a panic attack. If this was your first one it doesn't mean you'll have more or have panic disorder. Some people just have 1 to a few in their whole lifetime. So try not to worry about having another one because you'll be more apt to have another if you do. I know it's hard not to think about it. Just remember they're plenty of us on here that are willing to support you during this difficult time. Message me anytime!

God Bless,

Endziel

09/13/2009 09:59 AM
catiana
catianaPosts: 600

wow u had ur first and already found this site lol good for u..well ti's normal to not feel scared before a panick attack..they happen cuz of some small thing around that touches u inside ur subconscious.maybe u saw something at tv that hit u hard..or reminded u of somethin..maybe ur goin tru a rought time?how old are u?my first advice is get a heart EKG just to be calm about not having anything wrong with ur heart..than u can focuse on the fact that u are actually not going to die if u get a new one..and just learn to recognize them and get therpay..if u just had one maybe u can stop thm now..i've had like hundreds i think don't let this grow cuz it can swallow u and leave u feelin hopeless if u don't treat them tru thereapy..meds are useless

09/13/2009 03:47 PM
iluvmy2boyz

i know exactly how you feel. its one of the worst feelings i have ever experienced in my lifetime, and now i just spend my days anticipating another one. but i have made progress, i know the signs of getting one and within minutes can calm myself down. i donot take any meds for them, been there done that. i still get where i think there is still something wrong with me and my family just does not get that. if i could change one thing it would be that, i think i have been thru every test you can think of, ekg, heart monitors, ct scans of the heart you name it i have had it and it stil does not convince me i am ok. urrgggggg very frustrating, any advise from anyone out there?

09/13/2009 03:55 PM
catiana

hun first of all thinking and fearing the next one will definettly bring one soon lol..not funny sorry..so u've done all the tests and they showed ur just fine..what exactly are u looking for if u don't mind clering that up..are u looking for a physichal problem you think you mide have ??or are you looking for sometins wrong with you that you think is causing the panick??cuz if you are you're not going to find one as they are 100 % provocked by your brain..or soul if you's like it this waySmileu need to cure the hurt inside ur soul in order to stop them from coming back they are just a warning sign ur body is givin you tryin to remind u to solve some unsolved issues inside

09/13/2009 04:43 PM
iluvmy2boyz

i dont think i am looking for anything wrong, don't get me wrong i am glad there was nothing, that is the problem with panic attacks you always are afraid of something going wrong. even though i have the good health report i cannot seem to shake the feeling of panic when i get a strange feeling or a nervous feeling. i do read alot of books about this and try to think positive

09/14/2009 12:55 AM
catiana

so you fear that something physichal might actually go wrong with you during the panick attack?is that what you are saying?i use to feel i would die of a heart atack like all the time..i would ahve to get like every year EKG just to check that i didn't get sick during that time lol i understand the way you fear death during the panick moments it's the main fear of it but it's unreal just the same i'm glad you're reading books they really help you with all the breathing techniques

09/14/2009 11:47 AM
FitLiz

Hola! It's nice to know I'm not alone. Im a healthy 27yr. old, mother of two beautiful girls and about a month ago I got really sick with a cold to the point that every time I would cough I would choke. My lungs would lock and I felt like no air in or out, well to make story short I went to the doctor and I was given some steroid medication for the chest/lung inflammation and although I only took 2 pills a day for 10 days, soon after I was done taking it the worst feeling of death and symptoms of shortness of breath and an extremely fast heart beat that made my heart pop out of chest came to me. Im sure my heart rate was more than 180. I work out regularly and Im used to heart brate of 170+ but this was very uncomfortable and painful. Since a work our vigorously and regularly I consulted a cardiologist thinking I had maybe damaged my heart.But after various tests he told me everything related to my heart and lungs was fine. Needless to say panick attacks are very scary and depressing, I have not been able to work out or be myself for than a month now with all this sickness and just when I thought my cold was over the panick attacks started. They are miserable and intense to the point that I cant go to public places with lots of people and noise, I had to leave the restaurant the other night (Fri. Night).The louder the people got and the music just made more agitated.I know mine is temporary, a side effect of the steroid med. I took and I sure do hope so. I cant imagine living life like this. I've had about 4 panick attacks, they last from 30-45 min. but afterwards I'm so tired, they really wear my body out. Panick attacks have really depressed me and have change my daily life activities, now I have fear and uncertainty.

Well, thanks for this forum I will pray for all of you and remember you guys are not alone, and there are things you can do other than medication, inform yourself and most importantly my deepest prayers to those who are alone and suffering this.

Post edited by: FitLiz, at: 09/14/2009 11:55 AM

09/14/2009 02:58 PM
catiana

Liz hunny i have a piece of advice for you..YOU SHOULD ACTUALLY work out..especially if you are in the middle of a panic attack..that will actually make it stop faster and calm you down..it is recommended that you start jumping or running in place if you get one too..cuz ur heart knows how to adjust it's own beats and stop the panic atack and that will also take ur mind off the panic ..try it !!i read this in a book years ago and tried it and it really works..i was too afraid to excercise also cuz i felt my heart will explode if i get any more movement too lol but it doesn't really she knows how to calm herself downSmileand also it has been shown that a usuall panic attack will actually not last more than 10 minutes..try and time it..maybe the rest of 30 min might just be the anxiety after..but the really intense horror fear and heart jumping out ur chest should stop in a maximum of 10 minSmilethis are actually mental caused not meds caused so maybe try and look for the real reason u got them nowSmileand yes hopefully they will go away for u

09/14/2009 03:24 PM
iluvmy2boyz

it really helps to know that we are not alone in this. tomorrow i go for just a routine mammagram, but oh yae i am so freaking out and nervous i hate this, i wish i could just go and be like the rest of the world and STOP WORRYING.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved