MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/09/2007 07:37 PM

Panic attacks

Lindalou

Hi,

I am a 39 year old who has been suffering with panic disorder for over 20 years. My very first doctor put me on medications that helped. Throughout the years I have been on and off medications. I take xanx for atacks. For a number of years I had it under control. Didn't think twice about an attack was going to occur. Now here I am again a frightened little lamb. It was so bad in the begining I never left the house. I would have 10-20 atacks a day. I feel weak and very lonely. I have become deeply depressed and have little joy in my life. It has affected my marriage so badly I am affraid it will end because of me, my husband is so tired of hearing me say I am not feeling well. I don't go anywhere unless I have to. I say no to most all invatations, I am so afraid of going back to square one. I had 4 children in the middle of all this. They were too young to have seen me at my worst and now they are starting to see. I am currenlt taking a new medication welbutrin. Hasn't been for that long yet.I haven't seen any results yet. Does anyone know of this drug helping panic attacks? Any ideas out there? I hate being afraid of every thing. The moment my husband says we are going to dinner here r we have to be there at this time I insantly tense up and try to figure out how to get out of it. The worst part is I want to be able to do all these things. I want to socialize and enjoy life. I am sick of taking xanax. I need a big change but of course I am frightened to do anything.

09/14/2007 10:55 PM
scttkrkwd

tried counciling? i currently take xanax as well for my attacks. sometimes ust .25mg to tack the edge off, and .5mg if i'm feeling really uneasy.

09/17/2007 01:47 PM
confused32
confused32  

You are not alone..But I have done research on xanax..and I am weening off this medication,due to the fact of its high dependence. I am addicted to it and dont wanna be. they have cut me way down. i am shakey and fighting it..i take deep breathes to relieve the attacks and anxiety.i have been on welbutrin and zoloft.didnt help me..I am now on lexapro. i just started it. everything you have wrote hit me hard,cause I too sometimes panic when hubby says lets go out to eat..but ya know what? i go. and i am gonna start walking and get myself outta the house..take a hobby,i used to paint. so i may do that again. if you would like to write me..i am here for you...cause i am going through everything you just wrote.

09/22/2007 09:43 AM
Lindalou

Yes I am currently in therapy have been for years. I take xanax as needed too, sometimes not at all then sometimes up to 3mg . just so tired of feeling like this. i dont enjoy anything anymore the panic has put me into a major depression. My husband says I want to feel like this. Nobody wants to feel like this. I want to be happy and enjoy life I want to be able to go away and have fun. I know he has been through this with me but he just really doesnt understand. You cat unless you have experienced it. Thanks for your words

09/29/2007 11:42 PM
roy
roy  
Admin
I'm an Advocate

Hi Lindalou,

is xanax any good? and what do you mean by as needed?

i have a friend who deals with panic attacks and his doctor doesn't let him take xanax. he says its nothing. dosn't do anything. doesn't help anything.

what do you say?

09/30/2007 10:07 AM
scttkrkwd

xanax without a doubt eases anxiety. it a quick, limited fix though. maybe thats what his dr meant?

10/16/2007 07:25 AM
poppy

xanax does work to stop panic but its highly additive thats why docyors dont like to prescribr them.

11/05/2007 05:56 AM
MMM

Hello I'm 36 and was diagnosed with BiPolar II and panic disorder about 12 years ago. The doctors tried alot of different meds but all would send my BP into a tail spin. So I'm on xanax as needed, but I'm so afraid of dependancy that sometimes I'll just suffer though an episode.

You're not alone. I can understand about being afraid to leave the house. Sometimes it's a huge task to go to work in the morning. I have lost friends because I'm afraid to do anything or be in a crowded area---it sucks. I have found that if I'm out with my s/o or people I trust and understand I stay calm for the most part.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved