MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/29/2009 06:04 AM

Hi all...I'm KateO

KateO
KateO  

In January, my doc spoke with me about some feelings of anxiety I was having over work, kids, money, etc... these feelings were manifesting in feelings of high blood pressure and difficulty getting a full breath of air...he started me on Effexor which I absolutely could not tolerate...PLUS, I was in a bit of denial and thought I surely did not have an anxiety disorder. Then recently, my mother was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and I needed to start flying home frequently to be with her. While home, I was to receive an MRI for some issues I had been personally having swallowing solid food and experienced my first panic attack in the tube...I did not know what it was at the time, however. Flew home, no more problems, then two weeks later flew back for a weekend trip. Felt a little uneasy on the flight up, but nothing bad, on the way back however, I thought I was going to have to have them turn the plane around and let me off...this time, the tingling, the difficulty breathing, the racing heart, sweating, nausea...I couldn't ignore it any longer, went back to doctor and started Zoloft 50mg last Wednesday and Xanex .5 as needed (which at work is twice a day)....Glad to have found a place to talk about this, I think my family is getting sick of hearing about it Smile

04/29/2009 04:14 PM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16957
VIP Member

Oh bless your heart. You are dealing with a lot. I too am having my first symptoms of panic attack. It has actually changed a bit and now the anxiety seems to be unleashed mostly through my heart.

The difficulty swallowing hit home for me. I got up one day and could not swallow well at all. The next day I did better. My only problem now is if I fill my stomach too full it sets me off. My heart pounds and I feel lousy for about an hour. I have to make sure that I eat smaller meals more often.

Good luck to you with your new med regime. Some here have reported total absence of panic attack with meds. It sounds pretty awesome right now doesn't it?

Good luck to you,

Damsel

04/29/2009 07:15 PM
BelieveOnly7
BelieveOnly7Posts: 62

Damsel,

I am new to this panic attack thing so your comment was helpful. I experience really bad discomfort if I over eat. I feel like I am having a panic attack. I didn't know this really had something to do with panic attacks, but I feel like I get full quicker now. I can feel full of of a slice of pizza, but I am like "I want another slice!"Grin

The swallowing is another problem that I have experienced and I thought I was going to die or something. I was so scared.

04/30/2009 09:41 AM
KateO
KateO  

The swallowing thing, for you guys, is it like you think you're going to choke and you have no control over the food in your mouth? That's how mine is, so I have resorted to soup and pudding and stuff that if swallowed whole, I wouldn't choke on....lost 40lbs, too Smile

04/30/2009 03:45 PM
shavonne
shavonne  

hello Kate and Welcome. Glad you found this group! i know i was very discouraged until everyone here helped. it's a wonderful place.

but the not eating whole foods is not healthy. good for you for loosing weight, if you needed it, but your body needs nutrition.

if you are worried about coking, try taking a CPR class. you and ur husband. so if you do choke (very unlikely) you have that unconcious knowing that someone is there who know what to do.

but hope to hear form you soon about updates on ur meds!

05/04/2009 09:50 AM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

Ive been feeling the same way. Hang in there. You are ok. Im here to help in anyway I can!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved