MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/04/2008 07:14 PM

Panic Attacks for 4 hours???

IveGotGuts
IveGotGuts  

This past weekend was a truly one of the worst I have had in a while. I was visiting a town I just moved from, getting some things from my boyfriends house. As we lay down to go to sleep I felt the panic attack come on. My hear began to race, my face turned hot and I freaked. Then I start hyperventilating, my arms, legs and face went numb, and I began to have chest pains. I took my anxiety meds, nothing worked. These symptoms continued and worsened for 3 hours! I finally called Mom, she convinced me to go the ER. After an additional hour and a half in the waiting room (and having to drive myself to the ER, needless to say no more boyfriend). They give me a valum and an O2 mask and 2 hours later I am fine. CRAP! I mean I have had panic attacks before but never for such a long period of time. Has anyone else experienced such a severe attack? I really felt like I was losing my mind... Ermm

02/05/2008 04:09 PM
sledge

Hi IveGotGuts, No I've never had a Panic Attack last so long myself, that sounds awful! The short ones I have are bad enough. But I could see how they could happen. The stress builds and builds until your body reacts, the fight or flight syndrome. In your case It just lasted longer, was the stress very extreme you we're going through at the time. I guess It was if your boyfriend wouldn't even take you to the ER. I have had chest pains though and all the other classic symptoms. I'm glad your feeling better! Sledge

02/05/2008 04:58 PM
IveGotGuts
IveGotGuts  

That's EX boyfriend. Its hard enough to struggle through the medical problems that I have. But couples should support each other, and he didn't. Thanks for the support Smile

02/06/2008 05:04 PM
AngelaNicoleHarris

Hi I've Got Guts...wow, what a scary situation you went through. I've never had a panic attack last that long, I can't imagine how hard it must have been....and then you even had to drive yourself to the emergency room. I've been to the emergency room plenty of times when I was having a panic attack and thought I was dying but fortunately I always had someone to drive me. What struck me from your story is "wow, this girl has got guts"...so you do live up to your screen name. Wink

When I went through a really bad period last year and was having panic attacks daily it took a real toll on my relationship with my boyfriend. I felt safe with him so I wanted him around me all the time. I started calling him at work when I was having a panic attack, which was daily, and he couldn't very well hang up on my when I told him I thought I was dying...but he works in sales so time on the phone at work was money lost. We went through a hard time but have since become stronger. He had no idea what the heck was wrong with me...I spent alot of time educating him on panic disorder...still do sometimes. Smile

What you're doing right now....talking to others and reaching out is one of the best things you can do for yourself. I've been seeing a therapist once a week for the past year and have learned how to rise above my thoughts when panic attacks feel imminent. I never thought I could do that but it just takes practice and patience. You will learn too, sooner than you think, and panic attacks won't have so much power over you anymore. Have you seen a therapist at all?

02/07/2008 09:45 AM
IveGotGuts
IveGotGuts  

Hello Angela,

Thank you for your kind words! I am not currently seeing a therapist. I was seeing just my PCP when this all began, just as anxiety. It seemed to be helping, I saw him regularly and he had a genuine concern for my well being. I recently moved about 3 weeks ago and have yet to find a job and a new doctor that I feel comfortable with. I don't have panic attacks that often, and that just happened to be the worst one I ever experienced.

What my EXboyfriend needed to realize is that anxiety, and panic attacks aren't a joke, it's not "faking it" or just overreacting. He knew and supported that right up until this huge panic attack I had recently.

It's a tough road, but I feel less and less anxiety with my new home, and new city. Thanks for the support!

02/14/2008 02:50 PM
kaylamichele
kaylamichele  

im totally there with you. i am new to the site and my longest panic attck was almost six hours no lie. so i totally understand. i have severe anixiety/panic attacks. im not a big fan of the er eveytime i had to go (these were early on in 2005 and 2006 becuase i didnt understand what was going on) and they just looked at me like im crazy telling me im ok while im crying screaming from chest pain and too many symptoms to mention. but when they last that long all i can do is fight it out sometimes my meds dont work. and yea def hard to find a bf who understands all that. ive only had two who are supportive and held my hand. if u can find a guy like that it does help.

02/14/2008 04:54 PM
IveGotGuts
IveGotGuts  

WOW six hours? And I thought I had it bad!!! That was the longest panic attack I had ever experienced. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. It's a comforting feeling for me, but not so good for you. That was the only panic attack that landed me in the ER as well, I hadn't experienced chest pain until that last attack. I wont go back again having been through it already. Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the site!

02/14/2008 06:58 PM
AngelaNicoleHarris

6 hours is a loong time. I didn't realize for a few years that all of my trips to the emergency room were related to the panic. At the time I went it was because I thought I was having a heart attack or had rabies or something else equally fatal. Generally by the time I was in the room at the ER the symptoms were beginning to subside so the doctors never brought up the possibility of panic attacks. Anyways, thanks for sharing kaylamichele...and welcome!!!

02/15/2008 10:54 AM
kaylamichele
kaylamichele  

awww thanks guys its nice to finally meet ppl going through the same stuff Smile and the six didnt seem so long cuz it was the middle of the night i didnt realize til it was all over. so that part was good Smile

02/19/2008 12:22 PM
Eliza
Eliza  

Four Hours? Six Hours? my god you guys have been thru a lot, I can consider myself lucky my longest one was less than 2 hours!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved