MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/19/2008 06:39 PM

Hi, I'm new....

greystreet
greystreet  

Hi, as the title suggests, I'm new...

I'm a grad student in my early 20s in South Carolina. I just started grad school this past August and have been suffering from panic attacks ever since. For a while this fall, it seemed to be better, but now it seems worse than ever. I'm talking to a counselor and I have an appointment to see about medication soon. I didn't want to take that route, but I have been practicing yoga and deep breathing and other relaxation techniques, as well as drinking tea with kava kava, and nothing seems to be very effective. I still feel good after yoga, but it doesn't reduce the symptoms. I'm at the point now where I panic every time I go to a class.

I had mild anxiety issues during my undergraduate years, mostly from stage fright as I was a piano performance major and there was a lot of pressure in my music school. I was on Paxil then and hated it... I wonder if it somehow messed with my mental processes!

I suspect that part of my problem is loneliness. It's tough being in a new city! And I'm constantly wondering if I'm really good enough to be in such a good M.A. program. I feel like the whole panic thing is just so silly, and I'm a "grown-up" now and I should be able to handle things, but be that as it may, I panic!! I've come to accept that this is a part of me for the time being, but I am hoping to meet some friends who feel like I do and can relate to this stuff.

Anyhow, nice to meet you all Smile

11/19/2008 07:10 PM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

It sounds like u were trying some really good things to help relax you, Ive had panic disorder for about 19 yrs now and I still dont understand it and I feel like it is silly too, like why do I even get it, when I know it wont harm me!

Some of those big stressors probably helped contribute to it getting worse, cuz our fight/ flight response.

I was on meds. and I was doing great, then I got off and had some trouble, now im getting on a lower dosage, to help.

Maybe u wont be on meds. that long, hopefully ur counselor can help u with techniques to control it.

I doubt the Paxil messed with ur mental process, but u could ask ur med. doc. Sometimes certain meds. work better on certain ppl. It took me a while to find meds. that were right for me. I know lots of ppl who can do it without meds., but alot do need meds., sometimes for only a short time, just do what u think is best for u.

I know when I was in college, my panic attacks were worse, from all the stress, dead lines, late nightes, ect. Im 30 now and a lot is going on with me, so they are acting up again.

Im glad u found the group, everyone is really caring here. We are here to support you whatever you do or decide!

Im here if u need to talk, u can PM if u want.

11/20/2008 12:45 PM
greystreet
greystreet  

Thanks Chanda Smile It seems like everyone is really friendly here. It makes me feel a little better already just knowing that I'm not the only one out there!! It can be so frustrating to see all these "normal" people all around me, you know?

Yeah, I think being in grad school has a lot to do with it, because I'm so worried about my own abilities as far as achievement goes. One day at a time, right?

11/20/2008 06:46 PM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

I know, sometimes, I just look at ppl and I think, wow, I wish I could do that or be that brave... but then I have to think ya know, Im a pretty tough person having to go thru feelings like this and God made me this way for a reason, so, all I can do is be me, keep trying and one day get back to how I was, which I know we can do!

Worrying makes panic and anxiety even worse and in schooling, is so much pressure to be good and to make it, so, ya, all we can do is take one day at a time! 074

11/20/2008 09:09 PM
Mike1975
Mike1975  

Grey your not alone at all, I, in my 30s and im just starting to experience these problems. I tried paxil and it didnt sit well with me. Now Im on zoloft and doing quite better.

This is a good place for support and all of the people are wonderful.

11/21/2008 11:12 AM
hollyrm
hollyrm  

Chanda I agree, it is a sign of bravery for us to even keep going through all these horrible feelings we have. I dont' think we give ourselves enough credit a lot of times and instead focus on what other people can do that we can't . I certainly do that every single day.

11/21/2008 11:27 AM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

I know, we are SO hard on ourselves! And it does make us mad, when ugh I wanted to this, but I couldnt... etc., but darn it when something good happens for us, little or big, I think we should be SO proud of ourselves, because it is one step way to getting better, even if we do have set backs. So, thanks Holly. We are some pretty stong ppl!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved