MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/27/2010 03:27 PM

panic attacks..and waking up in the night

gaz1984

i´dont know why but ive just started with PA s, im living in spain and i just got back from the USA, and out of nowhere im 26 and im dealing with something that i have no idea what! but anyway ive started waking up at random times, short of breath, and scared.. i dont know how to go about dealing with this especially out here in spain, any recommendations?Dizzy

10/27/2010 03:54 PM
jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello! Welcome to the group. There are all sorts of free resources available on the world wide web to help. This group has a lot of them. Many different techniques and or medications can help people that are experiencing panic attacks. When you don't understand them and don't know how to handle them they can be very frightening. With the proper tools under your belt you can reduce the number and the length of those attacks. I have had a lot of success with many various methods.

Browse the forums, ask questions, jump in on discussions as you feel comfortable. This can be a very helpful place in overcoming these attacks. We understand and many of us have been having them for quite some time and have discovered some wonderful ways to overcome them. First step is talking about them and learning what you can.

I look forward to getting to know you!

~JoJo

10/27/2010 05:13 PM
Mik
MikPosts: 143

Try not to anticipate the panic attacks prior to sleeping. When you go to bed remind yourself of all times that you went to sleep without having a panic attack. After all you are 26 and this has just started happening recently, so there has been way more nights without panic attacks then there has been with. It is not reasonable for you to go to bed expecting an attack. I would also recommend a couple more things. Dont eat alot of sugar or sweets prior to going to sleep, and think about taking a tylonel pm or something like that to ensure you go into a deep sleep. However the main thing is to try your best to go to sleep realizing that although you have had some recent PA's during the night, that it dosn't mean you will have one tonight, and it certaintly wont last forever. Lastly Is your PA's due to nightmares?

Sleep well my friend,

Mik

10/28/2010 06:03 AM
leandrat

very wise and useful words there Mik Anticipation makes the panic more likely to happen and worse if it does!

10/28/2010 06:47 AM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Welcom Gaz,

10/28/2010 01:24 PM
gaz1984

Thanks, i went to my GP and he gave me one strong tablet to help me sleep, and he thinks that PA is the cause for this. Can anybody tell me if altitude could have started this problem? because before i had this, i climbed a 14,000 ft mountain and then the next day took 3 flights in 1 day due to travelling back from USA..

I never had these problems before these events?

10/28/2010 02:56 PM
leandrat

I have never heard of anything like that causing panic but everyone is different.

I would be sure to check what meds you are taking because I have spent the last month and two sezuires trying to come off my anti anxiety meds. Just be very very careful not to over do it on meds when belly breathing and possitve talk and meditation can help you sleep faster than a pill can enter and work on your system of course I'm not telling you to not take your meds but do your research on the effects of going on and coming off them as well

Lee

11/02/2010 02:32 PM
gaz1984

I dont know why but i was doing fine for 3 days, and suddenley i was in the gym and i had to stop a workout because i had a PA..what do you guys think?

11/02/2010 02:51 PM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Just cause you were panic free for a few days, doesn't mean they were gone forever. Panic has no memory of it's last panic, they come when they want. when your stressed, worried, ralaxed and happy, if any of knew the answer, we'd have less problems with them. All you can do is get through it, don't look back it's done and over, and don't worry about the next one, it can and will induce more panic. It will take time and practice, for you to not fear them, know what to do during them. Try to live your life as rountine as you can, don't give up things because of your panic, then it will take contol of your life. Deal with them with whatever tools work best for you and you will see in time it does get easier. Good luck

11/02/2010 06:33 PM
leandrat

Oh thats SOO true phil, I have done WEEKS without attacks then BLAM get them over and over for a month straight..Learning to flow and go WITH the panic at all times helps those CRAZY ones that come out of no where though as we ALL know sometimes no matter how much you know a WOW one can get anyone and make us break!!!

I cant get my heart rate above something normal for me or I am tripped into a panic attack!!

Lee

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved