MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/02/2010 11:08 AM

Panic attack when you wake up?

dave81

Have anyone ever had a panic attack when he woke up?

This happens to me every time I get to sleep, I wake up on rapid heart and it goes on fast and seems nothing is working to calm it down, it's really scary and frustrating, if this ever happened to anyone I'll be very glad if they would join this so we could chat about it...

07/02/2010 11:28 AM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Dave,

Yes they are night Panic attacks, your probably get them while you are sleeping and when you wake up the panic attack is full blown so it makes it harder to control. Force yourself to slow down your breathing. It's difficult at first, but with practice, make panics level down. Hope your feeling better soon.

07/02/2010 11:58 AM
ray2135

Hi Dave

I agree with Phil.

In addition, you might contact your doctor and review what has been occuring with him/her. The doctor should be able to recommend and prescribe soem meds to help you with your sleep.

Your doctor will also be interested in checking your over for this condition, because it is somewhat similar to a few other problems that can occur. He/she will probably want to check over a few things to make sure you do not have a more serious problem.

Raoul

07/02/2010 12:12 PM
YouAreLoved
YouAreLoved  

Hi Dave,

Absolutely. I went through a period where the same thing would happen to me. I suppose it might be a good idea to check with you doctor as Raoul said, but if it's not serious, I wouldn't bother with sleeping medication. These attacks can happen during the REM state of sleep. you pulse naturally rises and if you're having a bad dream or just very sensitive to anxious symptoms then it's understandable.

I would trust in time you will become naturally desensitized to them. It may be wise to look over your diet or other things that might make you a bit more stresses physically and try to adjust those the best you can. Again, if you can avoid the meds, I would certainly try.

With love,

~Tyler

07/02/2010 01:07 PM
jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I get them quite often. Right in the middle of the night. There are quite a few threads in this forum discussing my experience with it. As far as what I have researched there is no correlation between dreams and panic attacks. I have an emergency supply of ativan, a very fast acting benzo, that I keep on my night table. I used to wake up with these and they would keep me up for hours. Now that I know what they are I take an ativan asap, do deep breathing, put on soothing music and usually am back to sleep within a half hour. The daily use of benzos and SSRI's have made them occur less frequently.

I also used to quite regularly wake up right away in the morning after 8 hours of sleep with one. That has seemed to go away now that I have no expectations of going anywhere since I am not working. Although it will still occur if I have a doc appointment early in the morning. Again though discuss this with your doc. You are in no way alone with this! Smile

07/02/2010 05:50 PM
dave81

THANKS A LOT YOU ALL I LOVE YOU Smile))

GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU Laughing

There are just one thing i missed, that they happen to me when i enter the deep sleep state, it once happened after 15 min of my sleep, due to exhaustion, some other time it happened after 1 to 2 hours after I felt asleep and when it happened i awake scared with my heart rate high and the more i get scared the more the anxiety and fear persists and be more intense, i freak out open the closet, put something on, and go to the ER and when i get there and speak to someone it goes away, but it made me very tired cause am not able to sleep more than an hour or two due to it happening frequently, also getting up from bed in this fast manner due to fear, makes me very exhausted the whole day... and something else @ Raoul what can be the serious things you spoke of? thanks to you all, you're the best guys, truly LaughingD

Post edited by: dave81, at: 07/02/2010 05:58 PM

07/20/2010 03:09 AM
slugzzz

I panic pretty much every morning when I wake up... although, usually it is not intense panic... but I feel dizzy, disoriented, and sometimes numb. It used to really freak me out.. now I am just used to it. Well... yesterday I woke up to a pretty bad attack.. but sitting in the shower usually helps.

07/20/2010 03:22 AM
DonnaLynne

Panic attacks occur when we don't want to deal with situations that make us try to be responsible, when we don't have the energy, so it makes perfect sense to have an attack when you wake up, because the world expects you to be one way, and you want to fight it tooth and nail so you don't have have to deal with the norm.

Accept who you are, and that you don't like the norm, and once you can just keep yourself free from others that think you should be a certain way, the attacks should start to lessen.

Love yourself the way you are.

Forget those that don't understand.

There are those of us that 'get it' and would never ask you to do something that would trigger you.

hope this helps,

wolf

07/20/2010 06:26 AM
jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Slugzzz sounds like you are really finding some good ways to cope with your symptoms. Keep sharing what is working for you and everything. It is always wonderful to hear what works for people!

07/20/2010 06:38 AM
slamm311
slamm311  
VIP Member

God I do this all the time. My worst attacks are at work and when I wake up. I believe they are usually when I have something going on that day. Whether it be work, running errands, etc. Deep breathing and laying back down until I can calm myself aften help me. I also try to take it minute by minute and not think of what's to come in the day.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved