MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/12/2008 11:07 AM

Just wanting to introduce myself..

crazymom02
crazymom02Posts: 4

Hi. I'm a stay at wife and mother of 2 beautiful girls, a 5 year old who just stared kindergarten, and my 6 month old who thinks she can do everything her sister can do. When my 5 year old was 3 i had my first panic attack driving on the highway. It was the scariest thing I have ever went through, not knowing what was happening and knowing my 3 year old would be alone if I were dieing, later after a long ER visit I was told it was a panic attack. I was givin the impression it was something that just happened and rare to happen again. Boy was that wrong. A month ago I had 2 more while driving. So now I am scared to drive, my poor husband has been driving me everywhere, it has become a strain on the family. I made a choice to go see a dr. I wish I would of sooner. I am on my second day of taking a beta- blocker Metoprolol, it seems to be helping, but of course I am trying to freak myself out not knowing what I should be feeling but so far ( i know only 24 hours) I am calmer. I am hopeful. But I know I need more then meds so why not join a group where others know how I feel.

09/12/2008 12:10 PM
s24sassy
S24sassy  

Hello crazymom & welcome to the group! You are definitely not alone. I'm a "crazy mom" myself! LOL I had my first attack when I was driving and became homebound for two months after that. I couldn't even ride in the car with my husband driving and I was also pretty sure I was dying. But here I am, four years later, still alive & kicking. I've gotten myself back to driving, basically had to because our family needed my income. It wasn't easy and it's take a long time, but I'm now more confident with myself and I know my panic isn't going to kill me. This forum has really helped me a lot and I hope it helps you just as much.

Feel free to write me anytime!

Sandy

09/15/2008 09:15 AM
Nikkiann
Nikkiann  

Hi Crazymom - I am also new to this group and I know just how you feel. I recently realised taht I have panic disorder after suffering from occasional attacks for a long time which have now become incredibly frequent. I have had a very emotional morning exploring this website and finding out that all of the things I feel during an attack are felt by others as well. You mentioned how thinking of your 3-year-old during an attack made you panic even more at the thought of leaving her behind - I have similar feelings about leaving my husband a widower when I am in the grip of an attack. I also worry about starting a drug program because one of my common worries is that I am having a bad reaction to food or medications - so I guess although taking a medication would make most people feel better right away, for us it can be another reason to panic! Anyway, It has made me feel a lot better finding out that other people are going through what I am going through, so I thought I could do the same for you....hang in there!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved