MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/03/2009 05:47 PM

Anyone else?

jelena1320

So I just joined and wrote my little introduction and now I have a question. Actually a couple questions I guess...

1.) I feel like my heart is pounding all the time even when I don't feel like I'm having a panic attack and my heartrate is in the normal range. Anyone else feel this?

2.) I've had 3 normal EKGs in the last 2 months. Does anyone know how conclusive EKGs are?

Any words of wisdom or encouragement or anything at all are so welcome. I need you guys. And I'm here if you need me too.

Thanks!!

Maggie

05/03/2009 06:05 PM
Finally
Finally  

Don't know how accurate EKG's are... I kept having Palpitations even when I wasn't having a panic attack. I spoke with my Dr. several times and they did the EKG each time and came back with nothing. I switched Dr.s and gave up asking. I am interested in hearing others answers to this as well...

Finally

05/03/2009 06:12 PM
Mik
MikPosts: 143

Maggie,

I too have gone to the er and had an ekg (more than once) I also have ocd (only obsessive thinking not compulsive behavior) I over analyze everything and I mean everything. I know all too well about having panic attacks and thinking my heartrate is abnormal. But trust me you will get through this panic attacks or panic disorder is the most common mental illness and by far the most treatable. Dont fight the fear. Try to make the fear worse when having a panic attack. When you are having anxiety.

1 Challenge your thoughts, You had 3 ekg's they are extremely accurate, your fear is unrealistic

2 Talk to yourself like you would your best friend. My heartrate is normal, All the tests show there is nothing wrong, This will pass and trust me Ive been there it will pass. Just think how much more you will enjoy life when you are anxiety free!!

3 If you find yourself in a panic attack then its time to make it worse. make your heart beat faster. Make the fear worse and when it rises say is that all you got you can do better. Keep making it worse Dont fight it and soon the attack will be over.

05/03/2009 06:32 PM
jelena1320

Mik,

Thank you!! Advice and knowing that other people have been there is such a big help. My OCD sounds like yours. I have obsessive thoughts and very few compulsions. Or at least the compulsions I do have son't interfere with anything, they mostly just seem like strange quirks to other people. I've been doing my best to reassure myslef that the EKGs and the fact that all my bloodwork and CT scan came back normal mean that physically I'm ok, but as I'm sure you know, it's so hard sometimes to really believe that. I am going to try your advice though! THank you!! =)

Maggie

05/03/2009 07:04 PM
shavonne
shavonne  

it's good news knowing that you are physically ok, it might be your brain's chemistry is a lil outa wack.

our heart's beat is regulated by our medulla oblongata. it's also the place the fight our flight comes from. when we have an attack, the fight-or-flight starts out of no where which causes an increase in heart rate and an increase in blood pressure. which is probably when you feel your heart pounding. and some people with ocd are very in tune with their body and every function of it.

that's what some meds try to do, fix the imbalance of chemicals in the brain. but all meds work differently for everyone.

05/03/2009 07:10 PM
jelena1320

Hey Shavonne!

Thanks for the info! And you are totally right about the OCD making people very in tune with their bodies. I am hyper-aware of every little feeling or change and most if the time it scares me which triggers a panic attack. I think I'm just having a lot of trouble really trusting that I am physically ok even with the clean bill of health from my doctors. I have an appt with a cardiologist next week (I think) and I'm also going to go with me dad to his cardio appt so I can ask a lot of questions. I very much appreciate your support. =)

05/04/2009 04:28 PM
Careesa
Careesa  

When I first started my panic attacks I too was having heart worries. I've done the whole cardiologist and EKG thing. And like yours everything came back normal. That's when I realized that I was fine and that it was all in my head. It still have attacks but at least now it's easier to tell myself everything will be okay.

05/04/2009 05:17 PM
jelena1320

Hey Careesa!

As much as I feel for you (and everyone) that you are having panic attacks too, it is somewhat comforting to know that I'm not the only one. Thanks for your support!! =)

05/04/2009 06:22 PM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

I also feel that way. Hang in there! You are OK, i promise!

05/12/2009 05:20 AM
cherokeef34
cherokeef34  

yes my heart pounds my palms sweat its like a nightmare.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved