MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/04/2009 06:39 AM

Mitral valve prolapse??

carrie911
carrie911  

I was flipping through a magazine last night and came across an article on mitral valve prolapse. The symptoms are identical to panic/anxiety. Palpitations, chest pain, exhaustion, depression, headaches, dizziness, rapid heartbeat...amazing! Has anyone ever heard of this or been diagnosed with it? Im terrified that ive been mis-diagnosed and this is really what i have!

04/04/2009 06:55 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16963
VIP Member

I wouldn't worry too much these are symptoms of many problems. We really need medical help. You are correct that we could have a serious problem that needs to not be overlooked. The only way to find that out is to rule out the anxiety I think and see if the symptoms subside. If you are having any symptoms at all that concern you don't hesitate to seek medical help. My problem is I have gone to ER now 3 times for episodes and they have all subsided by the time I got there. One insight I just had as I typed this is if it was something serious such as the prolapse. The symptoms would not go away and would still be there as we got to the hospital. I am avoiding reading signs and symptoms of everything right now just due to the fact that I am so paranoid right now I don't need to get more ideas of what else could be wrong with me. I too have that underlying fear that there is something more seriously wrong with me than just anxiety. A couple thoughts one if there is I'm not sure there is much I can do about it. I am trying to accept whatever this is, enjoy the time I have since my other underlying fear is I must have a life threatening problem and not much time to live left,

and it's so weird because when my anxiety is managed all of those thoughts go away and I don't feel the impending doom. I even start to think I must have imagined the entire thing or exaggerated it in some way. I really would suggest you try to find a therapist you can confide in and try some meds. I had no way of even controlling what I'm going through without them. As much as years ago I thought I would never want to take a psych med I have come to a point in my life where I felt there was no alternative besides going on disability, and I really don't know that even at home I could have cared for my children in the state I've been in. My feelings about taking meds has definately changed and if it can restore me to a functional state I'm willing to do that.

04/05/2009 08:08 PM
dredre09
dredre09  

I have been thinking the same thing!!!! I havent been checked but they say that your doctor can usually detect it through a stethascope. My doc says my heart sounds fine. I think part of anxiety is always searching for a reason to feel the way you do. And always assuming that you have something worse than what you really do have....panic and anxiety! I have been looking for something else to diagnose myself with for years. I have thought I had everything from brain tumors to cancer. I have been through tons and tons of tests and nothing is ever wrong. The most I have found is some vitamin defeciencies and thats about it. If you are really concerned about it you might want to check with your doctor. But I completely know where you are coming from and understand!

04/05/2009 11:12 PM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

My brother has it, but it doesnt hurt u, it may cause some anxiety, but the docs. usually can tell if u have it or not.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved