MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/17/2009 10:42 PM

Helpful Hints

bhots23

As I said in another thread, I feel like I have some positive momentum going, so I thought I would share some of the things that have helped me gain that. A lot of this will sound familiar to people that have listened to or read Dr. Weeks or Lucinda Bassett, and that is because that is who I have used. I am still fighting this, and sometimes these hints fail, but I still find them to be helpful.

1.) Positive self-talk. This may be the biggest thing that helps me. When I start feeling anxious or panicky, I have to remind myself that I can do it, that I can get through it. I try to remind myself the progress that I have made. If I am headed to work and feel that way, I tell myself I will be with my coworkers, and I if I have a panic attack, they wont laugh, they will help me. I tell myself to have fun, and not concentrate to hard on what I am feeling. It doesnt always work, but I keep telling myself the same thing.

2.) Trying not to fear panic attacks. I know it sounds impossible. However, the more you fear them, the more likely they are to happen. As Dr. Weeks said, dont fear them, encourage them. When you have one, you can use it as a learning experience on how to deal with the next one. Again, it is hard, and I am not close to mastering that one, but I am trying.

3.) Diet. Caffeine, sugar, and alcohol can cause anxiety. I have been trying to cut down on my alcohol intake (which is hard because I love beer), and it has helped. High sugar foods, such as chocolate can cause anxiety. Also, high caffeine things like coffee and soda can cause anxiety. I find that if I have these things in moderation, I a usually okay, but you never know. The best thing to try is trial and error. I also reccommend keeping a journal of what you eat and drink, and see how your anxiety coincides with it.

4.) Find your safeties. I mean, things that make you feel comfortable when you are feeling panicky. Mine are a book and gum to name a couple. It can really be anything, but something that makes you feel comfortable. My psychiatrist said that for some people having their medicine that they take on an as needed basis can be that for some people.

5.) Challenge yourself. Make yourself get out, and try something you haven't done in awhile. If possible, make it something close by, so if you need to get out you can. One time, we went to eat and I freaked out, and it made it worse that then we had to drive all the way home. So, a couple weekends ago, we went out to eat at a place right by our house. I knew that if I lost it I could be home in a couple of minutes. If you succeed there, it will build confidence to do more.

6.) Don't beat yourself up over your failures. IF you have an attack, or you don't succeed in a challenge you take, don't beat yourself up. Congratulate yourself on taking a chance, and learn from what went wrong.

7.) Dr. Weeks and Lucinda Bassett. They have both helped me a ton. Listen to their tapes, read their books, etc. They will help, I promise you. Also, read this board, there are a lot of great people that can help you here.

I hope any or all of these help people. Feel free to post what helps you, as it may help some of us to.

Good luck all, we can all do this!!! Smile

03/18/2009 10:48 AM
shavonne
shavonne  

thanks so much for this!

03/19/2009 11:32 AM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

This is GREAT! Thanks so much for sharing!

03/21/2009 07:54 PM
Kalsky1
Kalsky1Posts: 38

Thanks bhots23 for sharing these tips. You are right about the self-talk. Sometimes I will speak out loud talking to God or giving myself encouragement. Usually I wait until I am alone (because I do not want to appear strange Smile. I appreciate your advice about challenging yourself. I stay home a great deal because I am not a public person. But staying indoors can backfire for a person who has panic attacks. When I push myself to go out or am forced because I need to buy something from the store, I discover that I feel better. Hopefully I will be able to go outside more and enjoy life. Sometimes I want to go to a museum, for example, and do not go because I have to go alone since my children's father is not really interested in those things. I hope one day I will get over this and stop depriving myself from doing what makes me happy.

Post edited by: Kalsky1, at: 03/21/2009 19:54

03/23/2009 09:39 AM
goflyers

really appreciate it.

03/23/2009 03:53 PM
abaldw23
abaldw23  

this is awesome. thank you! Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved