MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/26/2012 03:23 PM

B complex causing anxiety

Rflattsfan78
Rflattsfan78  

Ive always heard of B complex vitamins helping anxiety. Yet, I'm reading on some websites that it can be over simulating for some people and actually cause anxiety and panic...the exact opposite. I started B complex a couple weeks ago and the past few days I'm more anxious than usual. Does anybody else have issues with B vitamins?

06/26/2012 03:32 PM
slada
slada  

You have to check your blood for vitamin B12 and I was getting injections and I never hear B12 is causing anxiety,it can help you but not make you anxious...I will get one this week,ask pharmacist he will told you same....even if your blood test is ok you can still take itSmile)

06/26/2012 04:23 PM
kildare56
kildare56  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Absolutely, positively, beyond a doubt no issues with B. Many of us are under the recommended amount of especially B-12.

06/26/2012 05:09 PM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

I absolutely can not take any of the B vitamins. I have tried on numerous occasions. They are just too stimulating for me.

PS _ I have tried both the complex and individual ones. They all make me more anxious. I have to rely on the foods I eat to get what I hopefully need. I just can't tolerate the B vitamin pills for some reason.

Post edited by: LostInCyberspace12, at: 06/26/2012 05:16 PM

06/26/2012 05:15 PM
Rflattsfan78
Rflattsfan78  

Yep, exactly what I read!! I'm almost positive this is the culprit. I'm stopping it immediately. Here's a link to an article that has some info on anxiety and panic I found helpful. It goes on to say that B vitamins can cause anxiety and panic in some people because of their stimulaory nature,

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/ANXIETY.HTM

06/26/2012 07:07 PM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I couldn't take B complex, caused me to have more panic attacks. But know many who dos well on them and panic dimished or lessened. Everyone's body is different.

06/26/2012 07:08 PM
kildare56
kildare56  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Do what you wish. You should check more references though. I posted three and there are many more. Don't go by one person. This person is so wrong. Note that Wilson has NO others backing his claim, where the others all do. Even Wilson states "Many other nutrients are also important, such as B-complex vitamins, in some cases, as well as most others.".

06/26/2012 07:23 PM
mem6526

"Nutrient deficiencies. Deficiencies of the following nutrients may cause anxiety: calcium, magnesium, zinc, essential fatty acids and vitamins A and D3. Most people who are anxious and prone to anxiety attacks are deficient in these “sedative nutrients”. Many other nutrients are also important, such as B-complex vitamins, in some cases, as well as most others."

I agree with Kildare you do what you wish but the article does not say that taking specific Supplement is the direct cause of anxiety or panic.

Actually not having enough of a certain nutrient may cause anxiety or panic. I know people that take a B-Complex and it is helpful to the Central Nervous System.

Talk to a Pharmacist. They are VERY helpful.

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT

Anxiety and panic are caused by many factors including lifestyle, stress, Nutrition, Relationships, Work and so many other factors.

It is a whole picture in my opinion.

What do I know? lol

W00t Wink

06/26/2012 07:54 PM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

It is still always best to get your nutrition from the foods you eat. If you can't do that for whatever reason, then supplements are probably a good option provided you are deficient. Dr. Asa Andrews recommends having nutritional panels done. I think these things might help some people but I also think you see the placebo effect with some of these things. Actually, there is nothing wrong with the placebo effect. It is natural healing using the power of your mind when your brain thinks this will help me.

06/26/2012 08:20 PM
mem6526

It is ideal to get your Nutrition from your Foods but who can consume that much food each day to reach the recommended daily dose of each of the Vitamins and Minerals? Just saying...Whistling

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved