MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/24/2012 08:21 PM

Religion can help with stress

slada
slada  

If you want to reduce your stress level and feel less upset, perhaps you should think about God. Investigators at the University of Toronto Scarborough found that when people think about God and religion, their brains respond in ways that allows them to react with less distress.

“Research shows that people who are more religious or spiritual use their spirituality to cope with life,” notes Dr. Lee.

“They're better able to cope with stress, they heal faster from illness, and they experience increased benefits to their health and well-being. On an intellectual level, spirituality connects you to the world, which in turn enables you to stop trying to control things all by yourself. When you feel part of a greater whole, it's easy to understand that you aren't responsible for everything that happens in life.”

Post edited by: slada, at: 04/24/2012 08:22 PM

--- The discussion has been locked ---

04/24/2012 08:46 PM
AmyGirl
AmyGirl  
VIP Member

Oh Slada I love this and it is so true!! If it wasn't for God I would never ever be as far as I have come!! Thank you for saying this!!!

04/25/2012 05:26 AM
janicepv
janicepvPosts: 3264

"to stop trying to control things all by yourself" - this part of Slada's message really stood out for me. I have yet to master the art of putting things in God's hands completely. I try - but I guess I dont try hard enough. Maybe this is one of the many lessons He's trying to show me in this hellish journey of my recent life. Thanks Slada!

04/25/2012 06:52 AM
kildare56
kildare56  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

A cautionary note. While I do not discount the things said in this post, I must also caution that we are walking a very fine line here. Thanking God or your religion for improvements in your health is fine. Please be careful not to advocate that as THE way. Having said that, I concur that a sound belief system is capable of assisting in regaining health in many instances. It has the same medicinal qualities as any other form of positive thinking. If it is your belief that God is the only cure for anything, then you have a right to that belief. There is no right within MDJ to be a spokesperson for that individual belief as the sole source of curative measures. Those who feel the need for testimonials should do so within the correct venues. Thank you.

04/25/2012 07:30 AM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I agree,

There are many ways and methods to healing and higher being or relgious beliefs is only one of many choices of treatment out there. What may be the way or right for some, may not be for everyone. Respect our differences. Smile

04/25/2012 10:23 AM
slada
slada  

I don't know what to say,I am speechless because you know me for long time and if you are atheist its your choice but I have right and freedom of speech,specially about God.

If you think he can hurt someone your are wrong!!!!!

Did I call people names?

Did I told them go and take all bottle of pills?

Did I told them go and fuck yourself?

Did I told them kill yourself?

It was to nice on this forum,to be like that forever.

I was wrong,there is no real friendship,many of people just know how to criticize someone,WOW.........how nice right?

God helps me to get over my panic attack NOT PILLS and I have right to share with others members maybe somebody ask for help too.

I am talking from personal experience fuck those PILLS.......they are killing your brain slowly.....I am on and I can say because I have right of speech or this is just something you can read on piece of paper somewhere on this fucking planet.

Did I say anything about atheist people?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

My brother is one and you all have your own choice!

If you didn't like my post,why did you write any comment,just to fuck up Slada,sorry but I am already fuck up in my head and I don't need more.

Thank you for giving me right to speak!!!!!

04/25/2012 10:36 AM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Slada,

This is so unlike you.

I was only saying that we have to becareful with how we approach God and Religion. Nothing is wrong with it, if that is your belief, just want all to feel welcomed in their beliefs. God is the way for those that believe. Where does that leave those who do not believe? I just don't want anyone to feel unwelcomed here. I love and care for everyone here. If a person does not believe in God, and saying He is the way, that leaves them with no hope. Sad Sorry your feelings were hurt, or you saw my reply as a direct attack on you that is not my intent. You can share you beliefs, and share how God has helped you and discuss prayer, but saying He is the Answer is not.

These are not my rules, but the guidelines of this Group and Site. The Owners have developed these guidlines to follow and keep harmony.

Read below:

Leader Resources - Religion

No one is banishing god or religion! not any specific god and not any specific religion... and that is the point.

People come to MDJunction to deal with their health issues and challenges regardless if they are Christians, Jews, Muslims or any other religion. i believe we have people from almost every known religion!

religion, faith & god are the #1 cause for wars throughout history and i don't want them to interfere with the help people could get on here & basically i am not qualified to deal with it...

there are numerous sites and forums for religious talks and discussions and in fact i know a group of our leaders are very active in one of the Christian sites but they keep those discussions away from MDJunction.

You can love classic music and the LA Lakers at the same time, it doesn't mean you're going TO HAVE to wear the yellow/purple outfit (with a whistle in your mouth) to a classic music show.

it's OK to say thanks to your god, it is ok to say god helped you making it all you do on most of your posts starting discussions on how Jesus, Moses, Mohammad are the way to healing - PROHIBITED.

My goal is to protect MDJunction as a comfort zone and by setting these rules i believe i'm doing that.

best,

roy

Hope I was able to clear this misunderstanding up here.

Did not mean to hurt or offend anyone, just protect all the members and their choices and beliefs aswell.

Post edited by: PhilPhil46, at: 04/25/2012 10:39 AM

04/25/2012 11:20 AM
kildare56
kildare56  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Slada, I do hope you at least have the courtesy to regret your language. It wasn't very biblical of you, was it? If you choose to go after someone, come for me! I am the one who wrote the initial post. Yet you simply curse at PhilPhil? That is cowardice. We all must follow the rules of MDJ. If this is beyond you, that is a shame.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved