MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/16/2012 04:49 PM

Anxiety masks another painful emotion.

shadowfear

I'm new here so please forgive me if this is an old topic that has already been beaten to death:

I have recently had a certain degree of success controlling my anxiety only to find that when I'm not feeling anxious I feel really depressed. I'm starting to wonder to what degree my subconscious desire to avoid depression is fueling my anxiety. I can't imagine I'm alone in "choosing" one bad feeling over another because for me it is the lessor of two evils, so I'd appreciate hearing how others have dealt with similar feelings. I'm trying to avoid getting hung up on having a label for each emotional crisis I face but I'm wondering if there is a name for this condition of masking one emotional problem with another.

Thanks in advance for any and all insights that others choose to share.

Best Wishes - Neal

04/16/2012 05:01 PM
mem6526

Welcome Neal!

You don't need to apologize for asking a question.

Hopefully someone can help. I am glad you joined us.

This is a very supportive group and we do not judge.

Smile

welcomee

04/16/2012 05:28 PM
shadowfear

Thanks for your warm welcome. I almost didn't open my post with an introductory apology but some habits die hard. Smile

Best Wishes - Neal

04/16/2012 08:34 PM
reasontolive
reasontolivePosts: 7

Hi shadowfear,

I suffer from depression. I only realised this when I started getting panic attacks and general anxiety. I read a lot about panic, anxiety and how many sufferers often have an underlying problem, namely, depression. I hope you don't have what I have, but if you do, I believe there is a way out. At the moment I go through a cycle of panicking about two major fears, when I'm over those, I tend to be depressed the rest of the time. Then, I have a good day or two, and at the end of that period, a fear lurks, and I slip back into panic again, which I overcome, again, and then back into depression. Does that sound familiar?

04/17/2012 06:17 AM
mandieo

Sounds super familiar to me... How weird. I too suffer from depression in addition to my anxiety diagnoses.

04/17/2012 06:50 AM
kildare56
kildare56  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Anxiety and depression are frequently linked. I have had this dual diagnosis for forty years. To combat one effectively, you must combat both. You two are far from alone in this. There are many with anxiety issues who have undiagnosed depression and the same is true in reverse. You re probably the norm, not the exception.

04/17/2012 09:13 AM
Peace4Rach
Peace4Rach  
VIP Member

I too have experienced both and I don't know which feeling is worse. They usually go hand and hand for me. Right now the anxiety is to where I can't go out for long periods of time. I run in to where I have to go, as anxious as I am and go right home. It's depressing too and can't stand feeling this way. Hoping it passes soon. Rachele

04/17/2012 09:20 AM
mandieo

yes i am very depressed today. the constant feeling that i am having a heart attack is taking its toll. the constant tight chest and chest pains and trembling have taken a toll . luckily i have my first psychiatrist appt may 14.

04/17/2012 12:27 PM
mem6526

mandieo,

I am very down in the dumps too today. UGH!

Sorry you are having a difficult time too. Hang in there sweetie. Wink

04/17/2012 12:37 PM
mandieo

I just took an Ativan and now I'm very nervous

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved