Ask a Question
03/26/2012 12:42 PM

Are Panic Attacks Dangerous?

PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

The Real Danger During a Bad Panic Attack:

Panic Attacks are full of extremely scary sensations. Scary sensations lead to scary thoughts — very scary catastrophic the-sky-is-falling thoughts. Are bad panic attacks really dangerous though? Not even a little bit. I will show you proof that they are 100% NOT harmful, BUT scary thoughts about those sensations definitely can make you think that they are extremely dangerous. Your own scary thoughts convincing you of harm and keeping you afraid is the real danger. If you were not afraid of the sensations you feel, you would not get panic attacks. That is a bold statement, but I believe it. How can you prevent yourself from thinking scary thoughts? After all, sensations such as rapid heartbeat and hyperventilation are very real.

That is exactly what this post is about. Scary thoughts are the result of cognitive errors or cognitive distortions. You feel like you are in danger so you assume you are. Some people also call ‘cognitive errors' irrational thoughts. We all make dozens of cognitive errors everyday without even realizing it. Scary thoughts come from the basic idea that you are in danger when you really are not. Learning the factual evidence that you are not in danger — that your thoughts are false alarms – will give you the ammunition to stand up to and challenge these pesky irrational scary thoughts.

Stop Panic Attack Counter Arguments:

Facts to Dispute Catastrophic Thinking and Scary Sensations:

Listed below are the common sensations you feel leading up to and during a panic attack, which leads to catastrophic scary irrational thinking. Click each link to learn the truth about each scary sensation to dispute your fears and help stop panic attacks.

1.The sensations of dizziness, light-headedness, and tingling leads to the scary thought…”I'm going to faint!“ ← Learn why just the opposite is true.

2.(Coming soon) A panic attack cannot cause heart failure or a heart attack. Your panic attacks are not the exception.

3.(Coming soon) A panic Attack cannot cause you to stop breathing. Ever.

4.(Coming soon) A panic attack cannot cause you to “go crazy.” Just the opposite again!

5.(Coming soon) A panic attack cannot cause you to lose control of yourself. Just the opposite again – You're actually in more control and I'll prove this and all these points below..

Final Conclusion: A panic attack cannot harm you – it is actually a perfect biological response designed to protect you from possible threats or dangers.

Read the FACTS! It is good to remind yourself of these facts every time you worry about having a panic attack and realize that a panic attack is a false alarm.

Panic Attacks are NOT Dangerous.

Panic attacks are our response to danger just out of context — when there is no danger present. This has kept the human race alive for centuries from predators, enemies, and sudden natural disasters. A Panic attack is just the autonomic nervous system response but in the absence of any real danger. The autonomic nervous system response has kept the human race alive for thousands of years. If the autonomic nervous system did any damage to a person, we would all not be alive.

Saying that a panic attack can hurt you is like saying that digestion, or thinking, or circulation can hurt you. Those are all natural processes in our body. When confronted by danger our bodies naturally respond by becoming excited and preparing for danger in every possible way. Without any real danger present this causes a great deal of anxiety. It is uncomfortable. It is distressing. It is upsetting. It is NOT harmful.

Plum Sykes - Best selling author - Fashion Editor, Vogue Magazine:

How I Cured My Panic Attacks

Discomfort, distress, and anxiety are all just feelings and sensations. They do not cause you any temporary or permanent damage. It is uncomfortable when your heart is beating fast just like it is uncomfortable when you are exercising strenuously — that doesn't mean it is bad for you! Your body is not being damaged when it tingles because you hyper ventilate.

Look at it another way. Smoking causes many people pleasure. There is a lot of guilt and shame that comes with an addiction that is largely out of a person's control, but aside from that, the sensations associated with smoking are mostly pleasurable. Aside from the guilt, the actual physical senseations are pleasurable. Therefore, is smoking good for your body? Of course not.

This is cognitive error called emotional reasoning. Emotional Reasoning states that how you feel cause you to judge something to be true regardless of the objective reality. Eating chocolate cake causes pleasurable sensations but it is not good for you. Exercising can cause discomfort but it is actually good for you. A panic attack can not hurt you. A rapid heart beat is not bad for you – it is just uncomfortable.

Not knowing why these scary sensations occur just makes them that much scarier, but they are still harmless. They are actually a perfect biological response to danger — it's just that there is no danger actually present.

Replacement Statements:

Use the facts from the specific articles above to create replacement statements. Change “I'm having a heart attack! I'm gonna die!” to “No! This is a very uncomfortable sensation but it is only discomfort. I'm only having a panic attack or experiencing some anxiety. I have nothing to be afraid of! It will be over in a matter of minutes especially if I relax and breath slow deep breaths. My very own fear is making my afraid of my heart beat fast, but my heart is fine. These sensations are uncomfortable but discomfort is only discomfort and can not harm me.”

http://www.panicattackfree.org/stop-panic-attacks/bad-panic- attacks-dangerous

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved