MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/14/2012 12:30 PM

I'm crying...

TennisP
TennisPPosts: 2439

Is there anyone here who has been helped by anti-depressants for anxiety?

I made my appointment with a new psychiatrist a few weeks ago for April and it's still afew weeks out.

I am so frustrated that simple things like when I go outside "will I walk to the mailbox or will I feel scared and turn around" make me cry. I did go to the mailbox this morning to mail some cards to people but I don't like how I even "have to ask myself will I really keep going or will I get scared etc"

This morning has been rough on me because I HATE arguing with my husband why I'm not doing something. Yes we had plans to get up and go out at 8:30am and I did set my alarm but I was way too exhausted when I woke up at 7am to even function so I decided to sleep instead so we didn't do what I had planned last night (a quick run to get breakfast) I told him I needed sleep since that's part of depression waking up feeling groggy instead of waking up refreshed and ready to go. I did take our dog outside this morning and dropped the mail off so *I'm proud of myself* for doing that.

when I got back in he wanted me to take out the garbage which is a few minutes away in the parking lot not the usual area I walk to since I have hesitation going there in my brain since I had a panic attack last June there which help start the agoraphobia problem that I'm working on overcoming.

Overall, I keep telling my husband that I have tried therapy and relaxation skills which def do help but I feel like a piece is missing from helping my brain truly relax more and I do feel like medicine can help with that if it's the right one (to work on the neurotransmitters that my brain needs corrected)

It's so frustrating when I don't keep my commitments because I'm really tired or don't feel well.

I have goals and dreams I want to fulfill like moving to a house and raising kids.

I hope I can get on the right medicine and feel better soon....my goal is to be totally free feeling this spring/summer. I know the warmer weather and daylight will help me want to be out more. We're still overcast/cold/rainy days.

03/14/2012 12:36 PM
TennisP

Phil, have any articles about coping when your spouse is mad at you because you aren't functioning like "you should be" since you have an anxiety disorder/depression problems?

03/14/2012 12:41 PM
mem6526

Tennis,

I will make a few suggestions to you.

I would start keeping a journal and I would not put so much pressure on yourself with a time table. I think that when you put pressure on yourself and you do not do exactly what you wanted to do in the time frame then instead of looking at the things that you have done we tend to focus on the things that we have not done.

I think that you should try your best and that is all that you can do.

Is taking the garbage out that big of a deal?

I think the guy should take the garbage out!

Be kind to yourself and be patient.

Ask the therapist about maybe going on an anti-depressant and see what they think.

People that do not go thru this firsthand do not understand how it feels.

Maybe your Husband can educate himself and read about it.

I think that you should focus on yourself and the things that you are doing and the things that you do accomplish each day.

Let me know if this makes sense to you.

Just giving some suggestions and trying to help you to look at the positive.

{Hugs} to you! Wink

03/14/2012 12:41 PM
mem6526

How long have you been married? Unsure

03/14/2012 12:44 PM
TennisP

He will only be happy when I am functioning "normally" like shopping by myself , traveling, all the things we are used to doing together and it has been the opposite for awhile ===> tension/not fun!

03/14/2012 12:45 PM
mem6526

This is about you Tennis. It is not about him. He needs to stop pressuring you.

That is not healthy or good for you. Wink

03/14/2012 12:53 PM
TennisP

Our tension is because of me and I'm not even trying to be difficult. I hurt emotionally as I work on getting back on the right track. *cue Chris Farley motivational speaker skit from snl*

03/14/2012 12:53 PM
TennisP

03/14/2012 12:59 PM
mem6526

He needs to try to understand that you are not doing this on purpose.

You are doing the best that you can at this time and hopefully with some therapy it will help you. Just tell him that you need his support and understanding and patience at this time. Remind him of your wedding vows.."In sickness and in health for better or for worse...." Hang in there. Smile

03/14/2012 01:04 PM
IDoNotKnow
IDoNotKnow  
VIP Member

Dear Tennis I am so very sorry that you are suffering.

I wish I could take it away.

When you go to your psychiatrist you MIGHT ask about Lexapro.

I take 20mg of Lexapro and I really think it helps with anxiety.

I used to have TERRIBLE anxiety at work before the kids came.

I would nightmares that all my kids stood up and simply walked out the room.

I always need control with everything in my life.

I don't really have that problem any more.

Maybe you could look up Lexapro and see if it may also help you.

Please take care.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved