MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/04/2009 12:25 AM

Another Why

AmyBerry
AmyBerry  

During a panic attack you tell yourself that it's only a panic attack. That it will eventually pass like it always does. That you are not dying. You tell this to yourself, but it never works. Why doesn't it ever sink in? It never works when I tell myself the above.

Every panic attack to me feels like it's my first time experiencing it. Why can't I get used to them? It's so scary when you feel out of control, that you aren't in reality, you can't breathe, your heart pounds, and you're convinced that you're about to die and need medical attention.

I'm going through one now and it helps for me to type, as it sometimes takes my mind off of the panic and it feels as though I am not all alone.

02/04/2009 05:26 AM
septemberrain

Hi Amy, I'm wondering the same thing. I hate the humiliation the panic attacks bring on. I'll go running to a neighbor countless times saying "Oh my God, I think I'm having a heart attack!" Only to calm down and feel totally fine, except for the feeling of exhaustion after taking a xanax.

02/04/2009 06:11 AM
AmyBerry
AmyBerry  

I love Xanax. Love, love, love it. My doctor wants me to take 1mg. 3x a day to ward off the panic, but I only take them as needed because I don't want to build up a tolerance to them. They are the only benzo that works for me. I love that feeling when it kicks in and the panic goes away.

02/04/2009 08:50 PM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

Im wonderin the same thing! Maybe if we just keep telling ourselves that, we will soon believe it!

02/04/2009 09:10 PM
bhots23

Amy, I think the key, at least it is for me, is to find something that completely and totally gets your mind off of it. Sometimes, I just start telling my wife a random story from my life, because then I get engrossed in talking, and my mind doesnt race as much. Other times, I grab a book or something to read, and bury myself in it.

It is hard to find something to take your mind off of it, because you are panicky, but if you can find something, its great because it makes the panic attack shorter.

02/05/2009 01:01 AM
AmyBerry
AmyBerry  

Chanda, I certainly hope so! Panic attacks are so debilitating.

02/05/2009 01:03 AM
AmyBerry
AmyBerry  

Thanks bhots! Those are some great ideas. Sometimes during an attack I'll soak in a hot bath and read. That usually relaxes me enough and I don't get out until the attack is over with.

02/05/2009 01:08 PM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

Ya, i also try to do anything to get my mind into something else other than freaking out, its hard! I read, clean, play pogo, anything!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved