MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/28/2012 05:02 PM

is your panic higher when youre by yourself?(page 4)

Conn65
Conn65  
VIP Member

Tennisp my issue isn't anything to do with bravery. Mine is a lot of ptsd issues that cause me to panic. I've had many things happen in life that were really traumatic to me and most of them were either when I was alone or at least during a time when I was not protected.

I'd say some of us are brave just to get up each morning and face the day considering some things we've been through or even just knowing panic is lurking......

02/28/2012 05:07 PM
TennisP
TennisPPosts: 2439

I'm just sharing what I was told that was encouraging to me to remember to keep up facing things instead of avoiding. She told me the example of kids who think there are monsters in the closet and how they are reassured there's not any etc.....

We are all different people so I just pass along things I think may benefit someone else to hear!

02/28/2012 05:10 PM
mem6526

What does being "brave" have anything to do with panic attacks?

What kind of therapist would even say that?

Some of the most courageous people I know have panic attacks.

It is actually offensive that a "therapist" would make a statement like that. That would seem rather judgmental to me.

I am just stating my opinion. Wink

02/28/2012 05:16 PM
mem6526

I also do not think that a panic attack and monsters in the closets in a good analogy of dealing with or overcoming panic and or fear.

Who is this so called therapist?

I have never heard of these theories before.....it is rather insulting that a therapist would even compare the 2.

If it was that simple then everyone would have no fear or panic.

Everything is always easier said than done.

I really think that there is a false perception that it is all about fear and all a person has to do is face their fear and they are magically healed.

It is so much more than that and for a therapist to even imply that I feel is totally irresponsible.

It is not so cut and dry.

02/28/2012 05:35 PM
TennisP

Well to me it's an example she gave and it means again that the problem isn't the place it's how we think we'll feel in that place when it's not really the place that's scary it's how we talk to ourselves about the place...etc...

anyways it made sense to me.

02/28/2012 05:39 PM
mem6526

HUH??? Blink Blink Blink Blink Blink

02/28/2012 05:43 PM
TennisP

Nevermind, I don't know what else to add! I didn't think it would generate so many responses. Maybe I won't share the other things she said that helped me too. I'm just passing along what made sense to me.

02/28/2012 05:48 PM
mem6526

TennisP,

You put something out there then you don't want to explain it?

That is not fair. Explain it please.

Thank you! Smile

02/28/2012 06:01 PM
TennisP

I don't know what you don't understand though.

02/28/2012 06:07 PM
mem6526

What kind of therapist is this that is telling you this information?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 4 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved