MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/27/2012 07:55 AM

is your panic higher when youre by yourself?

mandieo

I was just wondering if anyone had the problem of panic escalating when they are by themselves. Thats not to say that I am panic free around other people but my panic seems to spike and stick around the entire time i am by myself. and then it almost wont go away.

02/27/2012 08:07 AM
mandieo

Its just troublesome and since most people work i am always by myself. just wondering if any one else has this problem and what they have done to overcome it.

02/27/2012 09:45 AM
TennisP
TennisPPosts: 2439

find ways to enjoy yourself. ...I used to feel that way but as days went on I knew I could be just fine without someone home because that is how it is...I call or skype with friends, go on here to post my own questions or share successes and help others, chores, read on the internet about helpful things, ec...there is a lot to do. ...if youre bored youre more likely to think ant feeling anxious.....you are okay alone! Smile

02/27/2012 09:57 AM
mandieo

well thank you! sometimes you just need those words: "you are ok alone".. being on this forum has helped alot because it makes me realize how many of us there are out there. Feeling alone and isolated is one of the big problems with this disorder. And being that i have medical phobia/anxiety im always afraid to die because there is no one there to aid me. but youre right, I am ok alone!!!

02/27/2012 10:23 AM
TennisP

awww....just keep remembering all of the many many days you have been alone in your life. Take one day at a time, fill it with productivity, fun, rest, etc...variety is the key to a "good day"!

I started staying home alone after school when I was 9 for several hrs til my parents got home so if I could do it as a kid, you can do it! hehehe....

I do know when people feel more anxious we feel like we have to have someone around to "help us" but the truth is that if something that was a real medical issue, your instincts would take over to help you including calling for help. Our bodies are amazing and we need to do what we can to take the best care we can so we can be healthy like exercise, good night's sleep, eating well, etc.... =)

You are okay. Say "I can take care of myself, I am okay, I know how to take care of myself, etc" throughout the day if you feel anxious and before you know it you'll really believe it! That's what positive affirmations are all about...saying things so that you feel and act "better".

Thoughts lead to feelings and then behaviors....it's called a brain loop in our brain.

02/27/2012 10:26 AM
mandieo

Well thanks for those words of wisdom. You have no idea how much it all helps

02/27/2012 10:43 AM
TennisP

You're welcome...just passing along things I've learned too =)

02/27/2012 12:26 PM
sassy2684
sassy2684  

When I am home alone and start having a panic attack I start focusing on things to around the house. I start washing, folding clothes, cleaning the bathroom. Sometimes I come onto this site and it calms me to read what others have wrote..or i visit websites to make me laugh like www.passiveaggressivenotes.com. Very funny site if you need to laugh Smile

02/27/2012 01:55 PM
Rflattsfan78
Rflattsfan78  

I seem to be anxious 24/7 lately and I'm always anxious home alone, especially lately Sad. What I usually do is distract myself as much as possible. I'll usually play games on my iPad, watch tv, or come on this site....like right now! Smile. I have issues showering when I am home alone too. I have a habit of carrying the cordless phone around with me when I am alone in case of an emergency. So, you aren't alone, I have a similar issue.

02/27/2012 01:59 PM
TennisP

Rf,

How are you doing with the medicine situation? Are you still taking medicines or are you seeing how you do naturally?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved