MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/11/2012 12:55 AM

Does anyone take only an SSRI to help feel calm

TennisP
TennisPPosts: 2439

and therefore prevent feeling panic where you've avoided before?

I want something that won't be addictive and that will help me get back to being in different places like stores etc that I haven't been to (due to agoraphobia) I just started leaving without being on medicine but only for car rides. I have a dr. appt coming up to discuss options. I don't like feeling like I have to be at home so much but I need something to help me relax so I can have positive experiences in places where I have avoided due to having a panic attack there before.

I'm tired of feeling hyper vigilant etc. I didn't even stay at my parents' tonight like I was supposed to, I came in set my things down tried to be like normal and felt anxious /tense and just didn't want to stay that way last time I was there was Nov so I decided to leave....Iw as 'supposed" to stay with them overnight and I may go back in a few days but want to see how I feel on my own at my own home.

02/11/2012 08:05 AM
janicepv
janicepvPosts: 3392

I take Celexa (SSRI), trazodone (for sleep) and Klonopin (antianxiety whenever I need it). First of all, good baby step getting out for car rides! Any step, even tiny, is a step forward. Im no doc but it sounds like an SSRI certainly might be something to discuss with your doc. Takes a few weeks to take effect but in my case, after that, I found a 'smoothing over' feeling and was suprised to find that former triggers no longer affected me. I could even drive over a bridge without freaking out. Good luck, Tennis. I hope you do get something that helps you progress even more.

02/12/2012 04:37 PM
Plo83
Plo83  
VIP Member

Well SSRI's prevent panic attacks. You still get some but you get less of them. They tell you that they are not addictive but the withdrawal is horrible so never quit an SSRI without speaking to a doctor first. You may think this isn't for me after 2-3 months which is fine but quitting cold turkey is a really bad feeling. So they are not technically addictive but you can't stop taking them once you start. You can but you have to lower your dose and quit slowly...

02/12/2012 06:09 PM
TennisP

Yeah I have an appointment to meet with a new psychaitrist next week. I have only tried some medicines in the Fall and they either made me feel groggy or nothing changed....I'd prefer natural approaches but I'm okay with something "safe and not addicting" too...I am doing another major step this week...I'm working on overcoming agoraphobia and I'm on hour 30+ of not being home!

02/12/2012 07:08 PM
Plo83
Plo83  
VIP Member

Congrats on having left the house for so many hours.

Sadly there isn't much natural stuff that can help. Some foods/vitamins can help lower stress but they are usually not enough for someone with a full blown anxiety disorder. I'm personally on Paxil and it works ok for me. The first month of being on it, you may feel crappy but it goes away.

02/12/2012 07:35 PM
TennisP

Thanks! I came here to my parents house yesterday early afternoon and it's Sunday night now...I will be here through the week. I just started leaving for car rides the last 2 weeks otherwise I had been pretty mch "housebound" so I am very proud of myself for being here and I'm without my husband...he is on a business trip far away so I am having to adapt quickly but here I am going outside to the backyard with our dog and being helpful with chores etc to feel helpful!

02/13/2012 05:01 AM
janicepv
janicepvPosts: 3392

Good going, Tennis!!

02/13/2012 11:54 AM
TennisP

Thanks =)

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved