MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/17/2011 08:38 AM

first panic attack

joentysmom
joentysmom  

Pretty sure I experienced my first panic attack lastnight. Just hanging out with a couple friends of mine, and suddenly felt really sick. Symptoms were nausious, weak and tingling all over, heavy chest, enormous amount of fear that something really bad was happening,& trouble breathing. Another thing to mention is that I got EXTREMELY pale. The actual "attack" lasted 5-10mins, but the symptoms lasted a few hours. Wondering if anyone else experiences the "paleness" with an attack?

12/17/2011 08:45 AM
njhoppe
njhoppe  
Group Leader

Hi joentysmom and welcome. So glad you found us! I am not sure if I have had paleness....no one has ever told me that but it could be. Have you been checked out by a medical doc to rule out medical problems?? If not, that is what I would do first. When everything is ruled out that you can pretty much be assured it is panic. I have had panic disorder for more than 25 years and spent at least 20 years trying to figure out what it was. You certainly have all the symptoms of a panic attack.

It is very comforting to know you are not alone and we have all been in your shoes. You will find alot of caring people here, ready to listen and help.

Hugs,

nj

12/17/2011 01:50 PM
JSVDuke

Hello! Welcome. It sounds like a panic attack. I experienced my first panic attack just two months ago and scared the heck out of me. I had all the same symtoms. Just remember,panic attacks cannot harm you and that your not alone. Make sure you go to your doctor and get it checked out to rule out anything else..

12/17/2011 07:18 PM
wally247

All of those symptoms are 100% normal with anxiety, and if you have more attacks you may have more/less/different ones.

The symptoms are scary, but try to remember that no matter what the symptom is it is just a symptom of anxiety, and not any real illness that you have.

The key to living with anxiety and beating it is to realize that you give it all of it's power by being scared of it.

12/17/2011 10:07 PM
AmyGirl
AmyGirl  
VIP Member

Sounds like a panic attack for sure but to ease your mind and help you cope better with all this I would just get checked by a doctor so that you can have for sure ease of mind. I always feel so much better after being checked by a doctor. Then I can move on and start to heal. Glad you found us. Smile

12/20/2011 10:47 AM
joentysmom
joentysmom  

Going tomorrow to discuss with my doctor about the episode I had. Curious to see what happens from here!

12/20/2011 05:02 PM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi joentysmom, welcome Smile

I get the paleness, have had co workers tell me that, when I've had an a attack at work. Not harmful. But so glad to hear you made an appointment with the Dr to get a proper diagnoses.

12/22/2011 06:02 AM
joentysmom
joentysmom  

So my Dr. reassured me that it was probably just an attack, but to be sure I will be going in for an EKG sometime in the next couple months given my family history. Not to thrilled about giving up my morning coffee, but if this helps in preventing future episodes then I'm all for it. Until then my Dr. prescribed a very low dose(25mg) of Zoloft. Any thoughts or feelings about that med??

12/22/2011 06:12 AM
njhoppe
njhoppe  
Group Leader

I am on zoloft and it seems to help me, very few side effects for me. Give it a try. Good Luck and so glad you went in.

Hugs

12/27/2011 07:28 AM
joentysmom
joentysmom  

I just wanna thank all those who welcomed me to this group!! You all have been very supportive and helpful and I really do appreciate your input. Been in fear of another attack and trying to deal with all of this. Afraid of where I will be when one happens but took the first step by revisiting the location where I had my first episode. All went well and didnt even experience ANY symptoms. On day 7 of taking Zoloft and kinda feel like it may have possibly made it worse, but gonna ride this one out at least for a couple months to really let it work. Hope everyone had a great holiday and has a safe New Years!!Cheerful

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved