MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/14/2008 09:12 AM

A child with panic attacks

eclairesmom

Hello,

I am a 28 year old mother of 2. My daugther is 8 years old and my son is 4. My daughter has had panic attacks since she was about 4 or 5. My mom helped me a lot when she was younger and my mom is a very nervous person and personally has panic attacks. I feel that maybe my daughter is very nervous b/c my mom was very nervous around her. She also is very smart and is always aware of things going on in the world that she doesn't need to worry about. I try to not watch the news with her b/c of that. I have never had panic attacks so I don't know what it feels like to have one but I am here to find out.

The doctor wants to put her on meds but i want to try different approaches before I medicate her. She has gotten better as she has gotten older but I wanted to know if any of your children has experienced panic attacks and if so, what did you do to help his/her?

01/14/2008 06:16 PM
morgane_suel
morgane_suelPosts: 25

I don't know much about what to do with such a young child, but I can tell you that panic attacks are thought to maybe be genetic. The 'panic gene' may have been passed on from your mother to your daughter. Try to keep her distracted. Good luck!

01/14/2008 06:51 PM
eclairesmom

morgane_suel

Thanks for your advice about keeping her distracted. She wanted to do dancing and acting this year and I think that it is helping her. She does still have them from time to time but I think that the older she gets, the easier it will be to try to control it.

Any things that I can tell her to do to calm the attack down and make it go away faster?

Thanks

01/14/2008 06:58 PM
morgane_suel
morgane_suelPosts: 25

Breathing helps most people. Also, remind her that she is in no immediate danger. Ask her why she is afraid. Some people are afraid that they are going to die, or that they are going crazy, just remind her that she isn't. Most important, you must be relaxed too! If she sees that you are panicking, she may panic more, but if you are relaxed like there is nothing to worry about she will most likely calm down faster. Also, during an attack, ask her questions to keep her distracted. Being active may help too, so take her for a little walk while telling her a story or asking about her day. Remind her that everything is OK! =)

01/14/2008 07:13 PM
eclairesmom

Thank you so much. She has actually told me during her panic attack that she needs to go to the hospital and she asks me if she is going to die. It is the worst feeling in the world to see your daughter do this and there is really nothing that I can do. I will take your advice and try to calm her down. Her breathing has gotten better now that she knows that she has these attacks.

Thanks again

01/15/2008 04:44 AM
Son

My Grand Daughter had panic attacks. she was 8.. I believe it all had to do with a bad divorce my daughter had.. Self talk and knowing she is safe is what worked with her.. I hate to see kids go on meds this early in life is its avoidable.. just my thoughts..Son

01/15/2008 06:26 AM
eclairesmom

Son,

My daughter is 8 as well but she hasn't had any tramatic events in her life but like i said before that I think she feeds off of my mom that is a very nervous person. I don't want to medicate her either. I want to try calming approaches before I go to the extreme.

THanks

01/15/2008 07:38 AM
Son

eclairesmom...Yes I agree... My grand daughter is very smart and she worries about things most 8 year olds don't or shouldn't.. I believe with the right direction, love, reassurance, she can learn to use this as a strength in her life... I'm not a doctor but I think kids like this are very special and have a special gift...I see this in my grand daughter... This is just my opinion but some parents look at this as a mental disease and are quick to med the children instead of taking the time to talk and share with them... again this is just my opinion...Son

01/15/2008 07:48 AM
eclairesmom

I totally agree. I hope that she continues to dance and do other activities and that can help you stay focused on something other than worrying about things she doesn't have to worry about. Thanks for validating what I thought all along.

01/15/2008 07:57 AM
Son

eclairesmom.. One other question you had was how to calm her down during an attack... Our Grand Daughter had a few attacks while she was out with us.. the first thing is for you to stay calm, her seeing your getting upset or nervous will feed the fire.. then just reassure her that everything is ok, try to control the situation with calm loving words.. Its ok, your ok, its just feelings and they wont hurt you... this worked well with Sherilyn... I remember one day we were out eating and one of her fears related with her anxiety was when she thought she was choking.. she said she has to jump up and down or the food wont go down.. I remember telling her that she was ok and told her by her being able to speak she was not choking.. I said to her take some deep breaths and try to calm down.. it took a few mins, but she did... then afterwards I just reassured her that's she is ok and some people feel feelings of anxiety that makes people think things are wrong when there not.. I told her that I also felt anxiety and its a normal part of life.. I again want you to know I know my grand daughter very well and am going on what your telling me about your daughter...after she calmed down we didnt dwell on the issue but went on doing some things with her that she enjoyed... Son

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved