Ask a Question
08/15/2011 12:45 PM

Does Alcohol Trigger Panic Attacks?

PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

By Alexandru Matei

More and more people experience panic attacks nowadays and it looks like alcohol may be one of the main reasons that causes anxiety panic attacks. If you're wondering if alcohol can cause panic attacks, the answer is YES. The more alcohol a patient consumes while suffering from panic disorder the greater the risk is to increase the anxiety levels and panic attack intensity.

Researchers found that alcohol increases the heart beat and automatically sets your nervous system into a high state of hyperactivity, which will most likely cause a panic attack.

You might drink alcohol thinking that you'd be able to calm nerves and be more relaxed, however in reality you only worsening your condition and increasing the risks of triggering future panic attacks. There's no real medical proof that a glass of wine for example will affect you, actually drinking 50 ml of red wine once in a while will improve your blood circulation but it can cause panic attacks. It's best to stay away from alcohol altogether.

Some other drinks that should be avoided while suffering panic disorders are: Energy drinks (Redbull), coffee, dark English tea and acid drinks.

Conclusion: If you have had concerns about what possibly may cause you panic attacks then the first thing to keep in mind is that alcohol highly increases the risks to have panic attacks.

Most people do not take into consideration the natural ways to cure panic attacks and only rely on medication although there are many alleged cures and treatments for anxiety panic attacks available now for a fast and permanent cure, you only need to follow the exact steps that other's have used to completely free themselves from anxiety, panic and stress.

Alex is a young former sufferer of all too frequent panic attacks and the founder of Relief Anxiety.

We provide reviews of the most effective natural cures for anxiety and panic disorders. Visit our website today:

http://www.relief-anxiety.info

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Alexandru_Matei

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1934773

http://ezinearticles.com/?Does-Alcohol-Trigger-Panic- Attacks?&id=1934773

08/16/2011 03:52 AM
Plo83
Plo83  
VIP Member

I think that this is a great point but it should also be mentioned that some people drink to ''control'' the anxiety. They use it as a mind altering substance when they get an attack. I did this before I was diagnosed and started receiving the proper treatment for panic disorder. I truly hope that nobody on here is drinking to cope with the pain because trust me, I've been there and it's not going to work in the long run.

08/16/2011 04:17 AM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Good point, sometimes panic can, be so bad and often, you just want it to stop and go away. But, like any another drug, it is only a temporary escape and don't resolve the problem.

08/16/2011 06:08 AM
AmyGirl
AmyGirl  
VIP Member

At first when I would drink all my anxiety would go away so every night I would drink just to make it go away. Then it creeped on me one day and oh my gosh I paid dearly. Alcohol can be so sneaky when you drink too much of it and use it to self medicate. I know now that alcohol was on of the main causes in my nervous breakdown and why I got so bad. Then if I even drank just one beer oh my gosh it would send me into horrible panic attacks. So I had to quit.

SO I quit for some time and now if I decide to have a beer it is usually just that. One beer or if I am feeling really good that day my limit is 3 but that is it. I am so glad that I don't depend on the beers to relieve my anxiety and panic attacks. Not a good thing for me at all.

So I think that a beer or glass of wine or what ever have you is ok every once in a while if you know it won't trigger a panic attack which for some it still will and if it does I would for sure stay away from it. Smile

Great article Phil and very true. Smile

08/16/2011 04:47 PM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I do enjoy a red wine every now and then. Smile but remember self medication is so easy to fall into. Beware and careful.

08/16/2011 09:50 PM
AmyGirl
AmyGirl  
VIP Member

Very True!!! I have to be so careful!!! Smile

08/17/2011 03:52 AM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

So have I Smile

08/17/2011 10:38 AM
cyberhmoob
cyberhmoob  

All I know is that for me it does trigger PA's. It does it by dehydrating & causing me to become dizzy. The dizzy sensation & effects of Alcohol causes PA's and they're somewhat amplified depending on the amount consumed.

08/17/2011 12:44 PM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

As individuals, we must do what is right for us. What one can do with out a problem, may not be the case with someone else.

12/03/2012 10:17 PM
Nathyr

I found out about the consequences of drinking alcohol while suffering from panic attack in the hard way. I had 3 glasses of beer when celebrating a friend birthday and I got really drunk and usually I'm fine drinking beer but my medication made it seen I had up to 8 bottle of beer. On the next morning I had a really bad headache. I had pain in my Chest and couldn't even walk because I was very dizzy. I had several mini panic attack and at night I had to go to the emergency room because my panic attack got so severe that I thought I was really going to die. I don't advice anyone that suffer from panic attack to drink alcohol. I don't even get close to it anymore. Not until I get cured with those horrible feelings

Post edited by: Nathyr, at: 12/03/2012 10:19 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved