MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/25/2011 06:10 AM

Paxil stopped working???

Rflattsfan78
Rflattsfan78  

I don't know what has happened. It's like I woke up Tuesday, and ever since then my panic and anxiety is coming back. I've been taking 25mg of Paxil CR for a few months now with success. Now, it's like it all of sudden stopped working. I'm very upset. I saw my doc on thursday and she upped my dose to 37.5 mg. I think this might work in the short term, but I have a fear that eventually the 37.5 might stop working...just the same as the 25mg appear to have stopped working. I'm quite sick of this doc, so I have an appt with a new doctor, but I don't see him until July 28th (closest appt I could get!).

It's super frustrating, and maybe I'm just having a bad time right now and it's temporary, but I'm not so sure. I went to the supermarket yesterday and when I got to the checkout I broke out in a panic. My agoraphobia was getting better, and now it seems I'm going backwards. I got home and just started crying. I've been breaking out into crying spells again, my stomach is in knots, racing weird thoughts...my typical bad anxiety Sad

Has anyone had an SSRI "poop out" on them?? Did you switch meds? I'm curious as to what others have done, because I've already been on 3 SSRI's now and now even this Paxil doesn't seem to be helping me. I'm lost and don't know what to do. I don't want to up my benzo and still only take that as needed. So sick of medicine Sad

06/26/2011 06:17 PM
jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hey Julanne,

Sorry to hear you are going through a rough patch. I hope that the increase helps. Try not to worry about the "what if" this doesn't work stuff. The more you stress about it the more likely it won't.

I have had ssri's poop out on me in the past and have had to switch to different ones.

Is there anything else going on that might be triggering the attacks? Are you practicing healthy coping skills?

I really hope things improve for you. Keep us posted.

06/26/2011 06:44 PM
AmyGirl
AmyGirl  
VIP Member

Hey there and so sorry you are going through such a rough time,. Jojo is right that what if thinking can really cause more anxiety on yourself. Oh I hate the what if thinking but just know you will get through this.

I think we all go through those bad days or weeks with panic attack disorder and agoraphobia. Oh and the depression comes along with all that too. I actually just had myself had where it was hard to go to the stores this weekend. When a lot of things are going on my anxiety level goes up. I was so upset at first and cried my eyes out. Hormones have a lot to do with mine. But don't let those bad days ruin all your progress. Don't let the panic and agoraphobia win. You are strong and you can overcome this bad time. Just know that and keep reminding yourself of all the times you may have had some bad days and overcame them. Hugs to you dear and I hope you feel better soon. Smile

06/27/2011 04:23 AM
Rflattsfan78
Rflattsfan78  

Thanks for the input Smile I do have some things going on in my life that are making me anxious...I had blood work done last week for a physical and of course I have the "what if" something is terribly wrong with me..I go see the doc in a week or so to discuss the results. I'm a hypochondriac so I always think something other than panic/anxiety is wrong with me. I also have a huge test coming up in September for my job...it's a credentialed exam I paid $400 to take and it's 4 hours long. These are the only things I can think of that would spike my anxiety/agoraphobia right now.

I'm hoping the increased dosage is what I need. I start taking it tomorrow thanks to my lovely pharmacy that always has to order the brand name cuz they never have it in stock...otherwise I would have started it over the weekend. The generic doesn't work as well for me which of course they have an abundance of..go figure.

It's a new week so I'm going to try to start this off on the right foot!

06/27/2011 08:47 AM
jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Good luck. Sounds like maybe some of the external stressors could be adding to the anxiety. Remember medications can only ever go so far. Take some time for yourself. Make sure you are getting enough sleep, eating healthy and doing your breathing exercises!

It is a new week and I hope it goes well! Smile

06/28/2011 06:15 AM
danny13
danny13  

Nothing has help me,pill wise, to prevent my panic attacks, so I just eat a xanax whenever I have a really bad one that I can't cope with. I am always worried about the next attack and where it will be. I can not stand it, but I have been practicing the belly breathing and other technics that Phil and the others have been telling me about and it helps. Good luck on your test, and I hope you get past this anxious time you are going through.

Post edited by: danny13, at: 06/28/2011 06:16 AM

02/20/2012 05:56 PM
Benutzername

Hey Julanne - and everyone else whose Paxil/paroxetine has stopped working,

Here is my story, in the hope that it might help someone else:

Paxil practically saved my life in 2001. I had a good 8 years or so with it, then it stopped working. Thus commenced a mad scramble to find a new solution: increasing the dosage, switching to name brand, adding Wellbutrin, switching to Viibryd, switching to Pristiq - none of which worked. Finally a psychiatric nurse practitioner put me back on the paroxetine (20 mg - same as before), but this time with Abilify (2 mg) added to it. It seems to be working. After a horrible two and a half months, I am feeling steadily better for the past 3 weeks plus. I take the paroxetine in the evening and the Abilify in the morning. I know everyone's different, but if your Paxil/paroxetine has stopped working, maybe this will work for you, too.

Post edited by: Benutzername, at: 02/20/2012 05:57 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved