MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/15/2011 05:36 PM

Heart thump/thud/bump?

Json
JsonPosts: 19

Anybody else get these? I do and they're pretty scary. Sometimes they make me cough, and I usually dont feel quite right in there for awhile afterward. They usually come on when I stand up, move around a bit, or bend over. I've asked a few doctors about it though, and they never seem particularly concerned or alarmed--and of course my EKGs and stuff always come back ok.

Weird thing is, upon investigation afterward, the feeling seems to come from my upper abdomen and not my chest. I do also have GERD, and that is usually the area where I feel discomfort from that condition. I also smoke and drink a bit (though trying to cut down on and quit both). Not sure if those things have anything to do with it.

What have you learned about this symptom?

06/15/2011 08:22 PM
AmyGirl
AmyGirl  
VIP Member

This is really hard to explain but I used to get when I would eat I would get what I call esophagal spasms. That is the best way I can describe them. Then I would get this feeling in my throat almost like I was gonna choke or stop breathing. And the feeling you say you get how your heart feels like it thumps or thuds or bumps is what I would get I think. It felt so weird and very hard to describe fully but it would scare the hell out of me.

I too had some acid reflux problems for so long it seemed. Oh my gosh it was awful and it would trigger my heart to go really fast. But my doctor said my heart was healthy but gosh its hard to believe that when you are feeling some really odd feelings in your chest and abdomen.

Air trapped in the chest and stomach is another way I can describe it. Like air bubbles popping inside freaking me out so bad it would throw me into a panic attack. So I would just lay on my stomach. That seemed to be the only thing that helped. Eventually it would go away once my food would digest.

I too drank and smoked. I quit for some time and things seemed to get better for me. I do still have a few beers here and there and I did start smoking again. But listen to this one. If I try and smoke a full cig it will make my heart race so fast. But if I only hit the cig 2 times I am fine. Then 10 mins later I can hit it 2 more times adn so on till the cig is gone. So I don't smoke near as much as I used to.

I really think the alcohol and cigs may be triggering it. At least that is what is was for me. Gerds is horrible and can feel so weird.

Hope I made some sense here. lol Smile

06/16/2011 05:38 AM
leandrat

Sounds like heart palps they are often felt in the chest,stomach,head,throat and other places as well...I have problems with these as well only thing I've found that helps is gettin up and moving around and doing something picking up my heart rate which I hate to but not as bad as those lol

06/16/2011 07:55 AM
njhoppe
njhoppe  
Group Leader

I have these too. Drinking and smoking are a trigger and so is eating too much. The docs won't catch it on an ekg, what you would need is a monitor that you would wear for a period of time. I wore a monitor called the king of hearts for a month. They got all the info they needed from that. I have what is called pvc's with bigeminy. Its harmless,,just drives me nuts. They put me on a beta blocker to help control the beats. Most of the time it works well but there are times (usually if I smoke too much or have a drink or 2 or 3) or eat way too much, then it kicks in again. Like I said its harmless but you should get it diagnosed to make sure.

Another trick you could try is take a really deep breath then cough really hard. Sometimes that will "reset" the beats. Like Lee said also getting up and moving around could help too. Oh yea and GERD doesn't help at all Smile

06/16/2011 09:48 PM
Json
JsonPosts: 19

See, I've only been around for a couple weeks and I've already learned so much from you girls! <3 This is great!

Amy, cigs are actually giving me the same issues that you have right now, and I have used it to cut down from a 1.5 packs to less than a half pack a day. Hopefully soon I can get down to zero. I've been smoking for 15 years and could never quuit for more than three hours. I figure why not make lemons into lemonade. Laughing

I also have all sorts of funkiness before, during and after I eat. Sometimes I actually have to stand up while I do it because sitting down seems to amplify the racing, bumps, etc. I've also started avoiding anything made with white flour because my body instantly turns it into sugar and my heart races for an hour or two. Whole grains process a lot slower and make me feel a lot better afterward.

I have some Prilosec here for my GERD, but of course my fear of meds has kept me from taking any as of yet. However, I'm probably gonna give it a shot soon as I figure I can't feel much worse than I do now.

njhoppe, I did wear a halter monitor for 24 hours at one point--and of course the symptoms did not show themselves during that time. Lil bastids. Wink So I guess I will need to request a longer duration when I have insurance again.

06/17/2011 05:08 AM
AmyGirl
AmyGirl  
VIP Member

I honestly have heard great things about the Prilosec working really well for people/ and as for the stomach thing it has improved sooooo much. I think taking these pepcid ac pills for a couple of weeks no longer than that and lots of whole grains and fiber and this Kellogs Bran Cereal with strawberries. On my gosh what a difference that made on my tummy after eating it for couple weeks. I have heard Flaxseed is really good for the tummy.

Anyhow good luck with all that. I am sure you will get it straightened out. I thought I never would but being less tense all the time and eating that stuff seems to be helping a lot.

Oh and I have heard cabbage is really good for your tummy and peaches.

09/21/2012 06:45 PM
mem4499

i get these too and all they usually tell me is its stress related. ugh.

09/23/2012 08:21 AM
Alwaysafraid
Alwaysafraid  

I get these too . I stop drinking any alcohol to be safe. I get panic attacks very often.

09/23/2012 01:49 PM
mem4499

i don't drink at all either. no caffeine. no excessive eating of sweets or salt either.

09/23/2012 02:28 PM
kildare56
kildare56  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Amy - Let's try something different and go back to your actual post and its content. This is an appropriate time to remind you this will be my opinion based on some factual info as well as experience. First thing is I seriously doubt your heart has anything to do with this. I recommend a GI doc. This does sound like classic GERD with minor twists. You should be safe and, if possible, have an endoscopy. Some of this made be caused by a(spelling is probably wrong) hyatal hernia. That can also cause the GERD and make it worse than normal. You could have esophageal lesions. The point is, it should be checked out by a GI. I have to take Prilosec twice a day. That could get expensive, but if my doc writes an Rx for the same med without the brand name, my insurance lets me get it for $7.00 a month. The GERD can be bad enough to force bile into my mouth. In other words, I up chuck into my mouth. That can happen while I am asleep. It wakes me up choking. The heart sensations are at least consistent with what many get from "heartburn" and for the same reasons. Alcohol and smoking will aggravate the condition. Don't let it frighten you. Just get expert advice. Okay my friend? Please let me know. Thanks!

Post edited by: kildare56, at: 09/23/2012 02:30 PM

Post edited by: kildare56, at: 09/23/2012 02:30 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved